Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 17,128 times

Advertisements

Thanks for this thread guys. Mowed today with our self propelled B&G and haven't had any problems out of it. We had some old gas in a can that we added (Obviously a bad idea) and I had no problem, until my mother took over and it sputtered and died on her. I spent thirty minutes jostling it around, checking spark plug, spraying WD-40 nearly everywhere, taking off the gas cap and checking the oil. All fine! Finally I turned it on its right side as far as I could while holding it and started it, and it started, and continued RUNNING. Then stopped. But eventually it started and did not cut off once I put it on the ground level. So I am guessing it is bad gas, since we've had that gas since last year. It runs, but every few seconds you will hear a low bass "boom" out of the muffler. I will dump the tank tomorrow, get fresh gas and a fresh can, since this has dirt in the bottom too.

It's a great mower and starts so very easily. Don't want to have to pay to fix it either! Thanks for your posts on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 07:08 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveou View Post
Thanks for this thread guys. Mowed today with our self propelled B&G and haven't had any problems out of it. We had some old gas in a can that we added (Obviously a bad idea) and I had no problem, until my mother took over and it sputtered and died on her. I spent thirty minutes jostling it around, checking spark plug, spraying WD-40 nearly everywhere, taking off the gas cap and checking the oil. All fine! Finally I turned it on its right side as far as I could while holding it and started it, and it started, and continued RUNNING. Then stopped. But eventually it started and did not cut off once I put it on the ground level. So I am guessing it is bad gas, since we've had that gas since last year. It runs, but every few seconds you will hear a low bass "boom" out of the muffler. I will dump the tank tomorrow, get fresh gas and a fresh can, since this has dirt in the bottom too.

It's a great mower and starts so very easily. Don't want to have to pay to fix it either! Thanks for your posts on this matter.
I have problems with you turning your mower on it's side and starting. For one thing the blade could be exposed - we like you to keep all of your fingers and toes. Another point is that many of these small motors only use a 'splash' oil lubrication system - turning the motor on it's side could negate that system. One last point is the crankcase breather - you can foul the breather or let oil run out.

What you probably accomplished, by turning the motor on it's side, was to dump some gas into the inlet manifold. The motor then ran until that gas was used up. That was actually what many old timers used to do to see if it was carburetor problems or electrical problems. They would take off the air cleaner and pour a small amount of gas directly into the inlet manifold. Then they would replace the air cleaner before attempting to start (less chance of a backfire and subsequent carburetor fire). Then they would try to start the motor. If it ran until out of gas in the intake and then stopped; you were pretty sure that it was carburetor or fuel system failure.

Generally speaking 'old' gas has a distinctive smell that you don't forget. Even new gas can be bad gas if it has water or debris. Lawn care can be dusty and dirty and some of that can get into the gas tank; especially when the wind is blowing. The newer fuels, with ethanol, can also destroy some of the rubber parts in our carburetors. The worse thing you can do is store small amounts of fuel in large containers or gas tanks. Always store your seasonal equipment with either a full tank or run it out of fuel. The full tank has less surface area for the fuel to evaporate. Full tanks are also probably easier for most consumers than draining out and then running out the left over fuel. Adding a product like Sta-Bil can help for long term storage: Deprecated Browser Error.

I also have used many cans of WD-40. But it is not a magic cure-all bullet for all problems. It is great at loosening rusted nuts and bolts. There is a lot of vibration with small motors and we do not necessarily like all of our nuts and bolts to loosen - some we even apply products to prevent them from loosening (like Loctite). Sometimes, no matter what you spray or do, you cannot correct the problem without replacing the bad parts. Filters get clogged. Some rubber carburetor diaphragms crack or deteriorate. Some of the seats, for the needles, are made of rubber that can disintegrate.

Some carburetors are hard to service and some are not. What is a B&G? Do you mean B&S? If you find the model and serial number on the motor; I can see what you have and tell you more information on your possible problem/s.

Anyway; good luck.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,017 times
Default murray push mower

i just got a older murray 22'' cut 5 horse brigs push mower, mows great! and runs great but when I push down on the mower to pick the frount of it up to turn it around it spits and runs bad soon as I put it back down it runs like a dream! what could it be???

Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex norris View Post
i just got a older murray 22'' cut 5 horse brigs push mower, mows great! and runs great but when I push down on the mower to pick the frount of it up to turn it around it spits and runs bad soon as I put it back down it runs like a dream! what could it be???
Carburetor or clogged fuel filter in the tank.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Sounds like the carb float is gummed up .Trying taking the bowl off and clean it and spraying carb cleaner to make sure float is free.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:45 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
Use fresh gas, non ethanol if possible and replace the air cleaner.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex norris View Post
It could be the carburetor; but try one thing first. Only have half a tank of fuel or less and try lifting the wheels off the ground without a fuel cap (do not spill fuel all over your hot engine). It could be your fuel cap or one other problem with the fuel pick up tube in your carburetor. Shine a light into your fuel tank and see if there are any loose parts (like a plastic tube).

Supply us with the B&S model number and serial number and we might be able to further help you.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,569 times
So I was cutting grass..turned off my riding mower and it wouldnt start back up..it will after a while and jus putter wont drive wont turn blades then shuts off amd wint start back up..battery shows good

Old 07-31-2015, 12:32 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,837 times
Gas cap too tight, clogged fuel filter for starters

Old 07-31-2015, 02:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger D View Post
So I was cutting grass..turned off my riding mower and it wouldnt start back up..it will after a while and jus putter wont drive wont turn blades then shuts off amd wint start back up..battery shows good
Read the rest of this thread, I'm sure your situation is covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden