Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 10:01 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times

Advertisements

Bought these along with standard Cherokee Purple transplants for containers.

Not impressed with the taste of the Patio tomatoes....a faint sweetness, that's it. Anyone else tried the Patio
and had this issue?

Cherokees not ready yet but are known for heirloom taste...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 10:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
My post didn't go through. Why?
Anyway, tried to say None of my tomatoes taste right this year. Maybe my taste buds have gone south. They all are very mild, no real good flavor. After all my work pampering the plants, it was not worth it.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
My post didn't go through. Why?
Anyway, tried to say None of my tomatoes taste right this year. Maybe my taste buds have gone south. They all are very mild, no real good flavor. After all my work pampering the plants, it was not worth it.
It didn't occur to me it could be MY taste buds! I'm taking medicine that does have those side effects...

Disappointing...

Old 07-07-2018, 03:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
I've never had a good tasting patio tomato... They were bred for containers not taste.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:20 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I've never had a good tasting patio tomato... They were bred for containers not taste.
Exactly. They are a compromise for those that don't have much space. They can never take the place of heirloom tomatoes.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:34 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Bought these along with standard Cherokee Purple transplants for containers.

Not impressed with the taste of the Patio tomatoes....a faint sweetness, that's it. Anyone else tried the Patio
and had this issue?

Cherokees not ready yet but are known for heirloom taste...
Our first PTs were prolific and delicious one year (and I like a tomato with a full-flavored, acid bite), but died before producing more than two or three 'meh' tomatoes the next. I think it's a gamble. We might be growing them again this year; I have to check.

And again, the Purples were great one year, full of cracks the next, and ' black' tomatoes are my all-time favorites.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:58 AM

The is the first and last time I'll grow patios....better to stick with Sweet 100s or other cherry tomatoes and one or two heirlooms...

thanks everyone!

Old 07-07-2018, 09:06 AM

Kind of complicated update...we have seven tomato plants this year, and one's a Patio. It has five small measly fruits on it. The other varieties, Celebrity, Better Boy and one other Bonnie, are doing great, loaded with fruits, and the indeterminates are rocketing past their trellis.

Here's the complicated part: two years ago, we wanted to try Celebrity, so got a seedling at some store or other. When it set fruit, they were HUGE and corrugated. Celebs are smooth and small-to-medium. It turned out to be Not A Celebrity. It was some beefsteak variety, near as we could tell (and it did okay, despite being in a too-small pot).

We notified Bonnie of the error and they diligently sent a certificate for a free plant. Evidently, mismatched plant labels aren't that uncommon.

So this makes me wonder whether the first Patio we got was actually a Patio, or Some Other Good-Tasting Prolific Tomato.

We probably won't buy Patio again.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Kind of complicated update...we have seven tomato plants this year, and one's a Patio. It has five small measly fruits on it. The other varieties, Celebrity, Better Boy and one other Bonnie, are doing great, loaded with fruits, and the indeterminates are rocketing past their trellis.

Here's the complicated part: two years ago, we wanted to try Celebrity, so got a seedling at some store or other. When it set fruit, they were HUGE and corrugated. Celebs are smooth and small-to-medium. It turned out to be Not A Celebrity. It was some beefsteak variety, near as we could tell (and it did okay, despite being in a too-small pot).

We notified Bonnie of the error and they diligently sent a certificate for a free plant. Evidently, mismatched plant labels aren't that uncommon.

So this makes me wonder whether the first Patio we got was actually a Patio, or Some Other Good-Tasting Prolific Tomato.

We probably won't buy Patio again.

Lol....wish mine had been mislabeled!

Old 07-28-2018, 06:10 AM

Well...I've got my first Patio harvest, and...meh. No acid, mushy, flavorless.

In contrast, the Celebrity is bursting with a bright, acid tomato flavor. (Can you tell I just had a 'mater sammich?)

I'm convinced now our first Patio plant was mislabeled. And Patio is going on my Embargo list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden