Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times

Advertisements

Finished compost often has lots of earth worms when you have a pile that is on the ground. You can also have pill bugs (and some millipedes and centipedes) that often are part of the natural breakdown process. Like earthworms they are part of the mechanical breakdown of materials that bacteria than finish off as compost. If you can get rid of the pill bugs before you use it they won't damage young leaves, the other thing they like to "breakdown." Centipedes and millipedes are not usually a problem except for the "ick" factor for some.

The following has a good FAQ section with information on basic composting that you might find helpful. It includes some tips on getting rid of unwanted critters:
Cures for Common Compost Questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Finished compost often has lots of earth worms when you have a pile that is on the ground. You can also have pill bugs (and some millipedes and centipedes) that often are part of the natural breakdown process. Like earthworms they are part of the mechanical breakdown of materials that bacteria than finish off as compost. If you can get rid of the pill bugs before you use it they won't damage young leaves, the other thing they like to "breakdown." Centipedes and millipedes are not usually a problem except for the "ick" factor for some.

The following has a good FAQ section with information on basic composting that you might find helpful. It includes some tips on getting rid of unwanted critters:
Cures for Common Compost Questions
thanks! i figured it's all part of the breakdown, but mine is in one of those barrels, raised off the ground on an axis. so these guys all crawled up in (probably when it was very stinky, before i had the mix and moisture correct!).

thanks!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:46 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Mine is up off the ground, but really has no entry point, so I haven't seen any bugs or worms. On the other hand, in the areas I have already composted, A LOT of worms can be found. Not only that, but they are some of the biggest worms I have ever seen. I'm sure this has to be good for my soil, being that my area is all very thick clay. I have only been composting since March and I already see a huge difference in the plants that have gotten the compost vs the plants that haven't.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM

33 posts, read 48,012 times
Something I haven't seen mentioned is paper from my shredder I add to my barrel composter where it sets for a week or two with kitchen scraps and grass clippings then it goes to bin composter as I turn that, Makes it real hard to read and adds to the pile, I just can't seam to get enough compost this year as I have started using SFG And Gutter gardening methods this year. Maybe I should explain, in a couple of months I will be 72, I retired last year for the 4th time just can't seam to get the hang of it, Not working that is. Thanks for the read.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
I have mine in the open and gated. Much better for airflow and natural rains to keepit moist.

I do have a question as I was making lunch...

Is the Tuna Fish fluids in water in those cans ok to put in there and the fluids from the olives in the can? I thought yes so I did. Wondering what you guys think.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
I'd avoid the tuna. The olive might be salty (but unless you eat olives by the gallon it likely wouldn't matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden