Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:36 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
First off I must admit, my husband and I are crappy gardeners. We have never had stellar success but this year was a complete disaster. Usually we get nice tomatoes, cucumbers and squash and beans. We live in the country near Portland, Oregon and have a lot of land to have a huge vegetable garden.

Okay so I'm trying to figure out what happened. We have never had our soil analyzed so I don't really know what it needs. We have a horse ranch next to us and they give us their manure. We let the manure sit a full year and compost before we took it and tilled it into the garden soil.

We planted in early May. We had unseasonably warm weather the month of May. Everyone was talking about it. Then, mid June, we had a couple of weeks of bitter, bitter cold. I think one night even hit freezing or just above freezing (maybe 34 degrees). Now maybe this is the whole entire problem, but since our neighbors seemed to get some crops, I'm thinking we have some other problems we need to look at.

Here is what we planted and the outcome:

Potatoes - these actually did reasonably well. They were fairly small for Russets but we got a whole bunch. Some of them had brown spots in the middle when you cut them open, but most did not and were okay.

Tomatoes -- only got a few fruits and the skins were tough, basically inedible, and this is out of 3 regular plants and 1 cherry tomato plant.

Basil -- died straight away

Bell peppers (green, red, yellow) -- died straight away

Eggplant -- looked straggly and produce one small shriveled scary looking eggplant.

Carrots -- got a few, were too small, even though we had thinned them

Radishes -- got a decent crop of nice looking radishes

Lettuce -- came up late and grew slowly and got eaten by critters

Kale and Swiss Chard -- never came up at all.

Squash and pumpkins -- never came up, which is odd because last year, we had a bumper crop.

Broccoli and cauliflower -- plants emerged but did not produce fruit

Cabbage -- got a few nice looking, albeit small, heads

Corn -- came up but appeared to stop growing at about 8 inches tall

Onions -- did pretty well, got a decent amount

Green beans and green peas -- a few plants emerged from the ground but didn't do anything after that, while last year, we got quite a few string beans and snow peas

Cucumbers -- we mounded them, only two came up but never really grew past the 2 leaf stage.

Canteloupe and watermelon -- never even came up

Strawberries (in their own containers) -- gorgeous green plants with maybe 5 strawberries total.

We spent a lot of money building raised planter beds, into which we put some of the plants, whereas the other plants were just planted directly in ground. As you can see, it was a large garden (there are some other vegetables I know I'm forgetting but that we also planted, and they didn't come up). Obviously we were horribly discouraged, wasted a lot of money and effort, and are not sure if the strange weather pattern is to blame, or if there is something wrong with our soil, or yet some other thing we are doing wrong.

I have never been able to get basil or bell peppers to grow, never.

We also had an inordinate amount of weeds in the ground area (not so much in the planter beds) and though I tried to keep on top of them, it was just impossible. I feel this is related to the horse manure but my husband disagrees.

Would anyone hazard a guess as to what went wrong or give me some advice on how to plant differently next year?
It might help if we knew just where you are, gardens in Texas do not grow the same as gardens in N. Carolina. The red clay will grow almost anything, but, getting peanuts or potatoes out of the ground can be problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden