Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:34 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,911 times

Advertisements

all spring and all summer i have to do a tick inspection on me, my son and my daughter can check herself! LOL

the animals are fine- they have meds that keep the buggers away but oh how i hate these bugs!

i just pulled one off my hip! its not like im outside rolling around in yard! all i did was sit on my porch steps and repot a couple of plants! LOL

i find one on me at least every day from march/ april till fall!

any ideas for long term (ie wont stop working after it rains) tick repellent i can put at least up nearby the house so maybe I wont get them! cant keep the kids from wandering and getting them but checking them is easier than checking myself! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,552,312 times
Totally know how you feel!! Tick season will be starting for us any day now -- last year we had a new high count - about 20!

The only good thing is that our ticks appear to be "brown dog ticks" - which generally don't bite people. So we've had them on us (inside your pant waistband is a favorite place) - but so far have never been bitten.

We got some chemicals last year - including some organic ones (mint oil, I believe) -- but never got around to using them.

Just be careful, because some of the chemicals are *extremely* toxic to cats - so if you have cats yourself, or if there are strays in your neighborhood that you don't want to kill -- take it easy.

Good mosquito-type repellants are supposed to work for ticks as well - so you can try those. Also, the normal rules about wearing light colored clothing (easier to see ticks), etc..

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM

129 posts, read 352,646 times
Have you tried putting Sevins powder out? It's safe for pets.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM

ive used sevin in the past but it washes away doesnt it?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:48 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,910 times
Some people here use pyrethrins to bring ticks under control. It will only kill ticks where you spray it, but it appears to work fairly well. We only have problems with ticks during the spring. It is too dry in the summer. Pyrethrin will probably help but you may have different results will a continuously humid climate.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/docu...ingticks05.pdf

Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
all spring and all summer i have to do a tick inspection on me, my son and my daughter can check herself! LOL

the animals are fine- they have meds that keep the buggers away but oh how i hate these bugs!

i just pulled one off my hip! its not like im outside rolling around in yard! all i did was sit on my porch steps and repot a couple of plants! LOL

i find one on me at least every day from march/ april till fall!

any ideas for long term (ie wont stop working after it rains) tick repellent i can put at least up nearby the house so maybe I wont get them! cant keep the kids from wandering and getting them but checking them is easier than checking myself! LOL
Can you keep chickens? I'm pretty sure they don't wash away in the rain and they will be much more meticulous in finding all of your ticks than any human ever could be.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Can you keep chickens? I'm pretty sure they don't wash away in the rain and they will be much more meticulous in finding all of your ticks than any human ever could be.
COULD I? yes

WOULD I? no

LOL

I already have enough animals to tend to LMAO

Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Some people here use pyrethrins to bring ticks under control. It will only kill ticks where you spray it, but it appears to work fairly well. We only have problems with ticks during the spring. It is too dry in the summer. Pyrethrin will probably help but you may have different results will a continuously humid climate.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/docu...ingticks05.pdf
In some places pyrethroids are not working as well anymore. Ticks have been selected for the most robust chemical tolerances for the last 100 years and they seem to be catching up with our technology.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 PM

129 posts, read 352,646 times
Chickens really are the best answer. 1 or 2 would be all that you need. They'd only need a small coup and wouldn't eat much if they roamed around the yard all day. Plus you'd get free eggs. In the long run they could be cheaper than treating for ticks.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,552,312 times
If I could have chickens, I would in a heartbeat. First - it'd be cool. Second - ticks and grasshoppers would vanish. Third- there'd be chickens!! in the yard!!

Of course I would get fancy chickens (the ones with the fluffy feather-y legs/feet!

*sigh* No backyard coop for me.. Reason #141 why the next house will NOT be in an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden