Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 06:44 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,778 times

Advertisements

All, I live in a place where the winter temperature dips to about -35 D C and below. Last year is pretty much the first year I started my garden (was living in another country before). When I bought Dahlias and Calla Lilies, the plant care said that I should treat them like an annual. Meaning, I need to dig them out before the last frost, label and store them and sow back the bulb in spring. In fall, I met with an accident and could not really care much for the bulbs. Now its spring....

I do not see any sprout in either the calla lilies or dahlias. Did I effectively kill them? I did not do the spring cleaning yet. I was thinking I will do this weekend. Shall I discard and throw the bulbs in the ground now or shall I wait longer to test my luck? Please advise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I had some calla lillies come back for a few years in zone 5, but in your climate I'm pretty sure they're both toast.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,778 times
Oh no !!!! Damn...OK, i will rip out the bulbs and throw them away next weekend.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:58 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Oh no !!!! Damn...OK, i will rip out the bulbs and throw them away next weekend.
The larger variety bulbs tend to be not very hardy to northern climates.

Hardy bulbs

I have had some success with the Giant Alliums but they tend to peter-out over a few years.

The Crown Imperials are hardy to about -29 C and while my luck with them in zone 3/4 hasn't been good you might try these...

Also consider Iris, they can get quite large, are long blooming, require little maintenance and virtually bomb proof...
Attached Thumbnails
Mistake I did with bulbs...plz advise-800px-yellowcrownimperials.jpg  

Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
With Iris you will have to watch out for Iris Borers though. In MI my IRIS all got attacked. It was icky. In OH I haven't seen them yet, but am staying vigilant.

Dahlias are more of a "tuber" than a bulb - and not freeze hardy (too much soft tissue to be destroyed). Tulips, daffodils, crocus, dutch iris, hyacinths -- those are all okay.

And large iris (the big bearded/siberian ones) are fine for whatever reason - they can take very cold.

Gladiola - even though they are a "hard" bulb to the touch -- they don't seem to be able to tolerate lasting freezes. They turn to mush.

I left my dahlia in the ground last year as well - I knew it would kill them, but the weather turned bad much more quickly than I was expecting - and I just couldn't get them out. Oh well.. I can always get more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden