Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 AM

174 posts, read 570,379 times

Advertisements

What's with this topsoil? Triassic clay from the top down! Do you just import dirt and build raised beds? Are there native plants better suited to this soil environment? What are the good nurseries around Pittsboro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
You need to amend the soil with organic matter,composted manure, perma-til, earthworms, compost, lime(if appropriate), and deep tilling.
Don't improve with peat moss, as it will compact, too.
Native plants will do better.
Very good gardeners will have some success with exotics and non-native, but tried and true has a proven place.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
If you live in a new house in a new subdivision where they simply stripped the trees off and everything on the top layer, then yeah...you'll have to deal with a lot of crappy red clay. (I hate that so many developers do that!)

Otherwise, just about anywhere else, particularly older neighborhoods with lots of trees, the organic matter falling every year should be enough to keep a decent organic layer on the top. (Unless you obsessively rake it up every year.)

Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Default topsoil

then the developers sell the topsoil and make a profit on that too.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:29 AM

174 posts, read 570,379 times
Default topsoil tempest

Thanks Mike. Very useful. Looks like I'm in for some long term soil amendation projects. What is perma-til?

I'm "stumped" as to why I have so little topsoil out here in the woods. I can't blame developers. The house "grewed" out of the woods through a series of individual owners starting in '74. No commercial developer, ever. Maybe erosion (there's a slight slope?) but even in the woods, I seem to have have leaf litter on top of clay. I would expect it to have turned to loam, but no.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default I have sand

In HS/fuquay I have mostly sand, luckily bermuda grass grows OK in it. Yea I hate that developers take off the topsoil. What is the reason?

Old 03-26-2007, 02:28 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
>I hate that developers take off the topsoil. What is the reason?
Tigerlilly said it: developers sell the topsoil and make a profit on that too.

It's standard practice all over. I once said that to a realtor (first realtor we had down here)...he looked at me quizzically and said "...duh...I've never heard of them doing that...". Yeah. Right. We didn't stay with him for long. Never could get a straight answer out of him (not like some of the agents in this forum - you guys are putting your profession back into a good light - as my second realtor did!)

Old 04-21-2007, 06:15 PM

214 posts, read 701,892 times
So if you do have red clay under about no more than an inch of topsoil, is building raised beds the best way to garden here in NC? I tried today but got so frustrated with the heavy clay soil. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshel88 View Post
So if you do have red clay under about no more than an inch of topsoil, is building raised beds the best way to garden here in NC? I tried today but got so frustrated with the heavy clay soil. Thanks.
I'm in Oregon for now, but eventually will have to deal with NC clay. Clay is probably the same whether it's NC red or OR brown. LOL. I almost destroyed my knee digging in clay, and I don't have the patience for it any more. Raised beds are the way to go for me. It's initially more expensive for raised bed soil, but you're going to get great drainage and the ability to expand your planting material. Because you're plants don't have to fight to establish roots they'll grow faster. A lot of times it's not low temps that limit what you can plant but poor drainage causing roots to rot. Hope this helps.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 AM

33 posts, read 48,022 times
Default Sfg

Go the library an check out the book All New Square foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew mite save You some work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden