Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:36 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You mean the one from last year?

"This bill never became law. This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. Members often reintroduce bills that did not come up for debate under a new number in the next session. "

You're late; there's nothing to learn about as the bill is dead.
That's the problem we're dealing with ... Congress, where this type of regulation is written into law under the scrutiny of public input ...

has been totally by-passed by the current administration with all their in-house regulations that aren't subject to legal review or accountable to anybody except the bureaucrats that are writing the regs.

The burden upon the food supply is daunting, especially upon the small farmers with locally grown and harvested items.

The big corporate farm operations love this stuff, because it's forcing out the small producers who cannot afford the regs.

For the most part, virtually all of the aspects of the original bill are being implemented and enforced by the FDA and the USDA ... even though the bill wasn't passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
Gosh, I bought a cantaloup from the back of a pickup truck at the Shell Station, parking lot today. It didn't occur to me to ask if it had been scrubbed. The mellon looked clean, as did the older man selling it. In fact, all of his wonderful produce looked clean and was pleasantly presented. Even though it looked clean, I washed it before I peeled it to serve to my family. Gosh, my family didn't ask if I scrubbed the mellon or my hands, they just consumed it and said it was the best one we have had this summer!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Gosh, I bought a cantaloup from the back of a pickup truck at the Shell Station, parking lot today. It didn't occur to me to ask if it had been scrubbed. The mellon looked clean, as did the older man selling it. In fact, all of his wonderful produce looked clean and was pleasantly presented. Even though it looked clean, I washed it before I peeled it to serve to my family. Gosh, my family didn't ask if I scrubbed the mellon or my hands, they just consumed it and said it was the best one we have had this summer!
What?! You enjoyed a melon without paranoia? Inconceivable! That's it, someone call the government, this woman is enjoying her life far too much and we CAN. NOT. HAVE. THAT!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,823 times
....someone call the government, this woman is enjoying her life far too much and we CAN. NOT. HAVE. THAT!

LOL! Seriously, with the CSA shares thing, Sunsprit, doesn't that get around some of the food regs?

It's the death of common sense.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
....someone call the government, this woman is enjoying her life far too much and we CAN. NOT. HAVE. THAT!

LOL! Seriously, with the CSA shares thing, Sunsprit, doesn't that get around some of the food regs?

I just finished the best scrambled eggs I have had in years. We have found this lady who sells free range eggs very inexpensively. She is partially disabled and makes end meet by selling her wonderful, tasty eggs and does some dog sitting and walking. Think of what would happen to her livelihood if the government keeps sticking its hairly face into her business? We wouldn't enjoy her wonderful source of protein (spelling) and she wouldn't have her source of income. Oh, and let's not forget the farmers markets most of us have fallen in love with the last 10 years.

Nita

Old 07-19-2011, 07:33 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Quote:

You would think!

I find it very interesting. This is the second summer my son has been working on a small organic farm. It seems to becoming very, very popular here. The farm he works on is now doing farm dinners and many chefs from restaurants come to his farm stand to pick produce. They are actively involved in the community to teach healthy eating, etc. It would be a shame if they were driven out of business because of all the regulations.

Some of the things sunsprit said - I've heard from my son. The most time consuming thing he does is wash. I believe they also just revamped the wash stations. The eggs as well - if there is one odd spot, etc. on them - a speckle - from what I understand, they can't be sold. Even at that though - in this area, organic is huge and people are willing to pay.

We have participated in the CSA this summer. One thing is for sure - I have cooked with some foods I have never used in my life. It's been a big learning experience! I've had to think outside the box. We are a family of three and just signed up for the small share - thank goodness. The amount of food we get is a lot. What I picked up yesterday was amazing.

My son loves working there. Might be hard work, but yesterday he commented, he rather be doing that any day rather than baggie groceries. I have so much respect for the small farmer!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I favor exemptions for small growers (like in CA you can produce X gallons of wine a year without being regulated, inspected etc.)

Part of the problem is that the organic movement (and especially the raw folks) have of course attracted unscrupulous scum selling garbage labeled "pesticide free" etc. This is avoidable if you do your homework but invariably after an outbreak then people scream for nanny government to come protect them (and yeah the big farms want it too.)

With that said, the OP needs to bookmark snopes.com because the web is CRAWLING with conspiracies about how the govt. is shutting down all co-ops or banning this or that which aren't remotely true. You cannot be an effective advocate for yourself if you get suckered by every "nigerian prince" type chain emial.

P.S. Went to a wonderful farmers market this weekend and also planted some more beans....dang rabbits. lol.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just finished the best scrambled eggs I have had in years. We have found this lady who sells free range eggs very inexpensively. She is partially disabled and makes end meet by selling her wonderful, tasty eggs and does some dog sitting and walking. Think of what would happen to her livelihood if the government keeps sticking its hairly face into her business? We wouldn't enjoy her wonderful source of protein (spelling) and she wouldn't have her source of income. Oh, and let's not forget the farmers markets most of us have fallen in love with the last 10 years.

Nita
Amen. My parents got eggs and also sold some to our neighbors from my grandparents farm throughout my youth. I remember going out to the hen house and reaching under them for eggs.....30 years ago or more and I can still smell the barn in my memory. good times.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:

The liability for providing an unsafe food element from our vegetable production, or meat production ... still rests with the producer.

This is reasonable, but the big manufacturing/corporate food production model has been proven to be a breeding ground for the food-borne pathogens that have the attention of the FSA, FDA, and the USDA at this time.

Unlike small producers, where it's not been shown to be an issue.

All in the name of ultimate food safety ....

Agreed, common sense has left the arena of food safety and production.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
No worries, Jack ....

. . .
You'll be thrilled to know that you will get what you want, and it will come at a price.

Enjoy and Bon Appetit!
What did I say that I want?

Other than food from safe and sanitary producers, that is?

I'll wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden