Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which tree would look best with Bradford Pears?
Pink Flowering Dogwood 15 83.33%
White Dogwood 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times

Advertisements

We are considering purchasing two more trees to put in our backyard to act as a privacy fence. We recently cut one tree down because it died, and now our kitchen window faces the neighbor's windows that are always open. We currently have four Bradford Pear trees that turn green and white depending on the season.

For the new trees, we are considering either:

A "Pink Flowering Dogwood"
pink flowering dogwood - Google Search

Or a "White Dogwood"
white dogwood - Google Search

So here's the question... With the Bradford Pear trees turning white once a year, should we choose another white tree or go with the pink tree? My wife wants to go with the pink ones for color, but we're also wondering if it will look weird with white trees.

Here is a picture of our yard now...

Where we are considering putting the trees...

This is the rest of the yard showing how we have trees lining the entire fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,428 times
I vote for 2 pink flowering dogwoods! Then you'll have symmetry... and a full house (2 pinks, 3 whites)! :-)

P.S.Oops...you had 4 bradford pears already, not three... but I still vote for two pinks for added color.

Last edited by js1mom; 09-21-2011 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:52 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Me too. Love the Pink dogs!!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
Pink. Added colour is always nice.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Both are equally beautiful.

Sometimes, a garden/yard that looks too planned (a.k.a. in which there is two of everything b/c of a concern for symmetry) looks just as weird as one with all of the same colors. I would actually only get one dogwood (pink) tree and then something else, like a Japanese maple (purple).

Old 09-21-2011, 10:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
The mix of white and pink blooms mixed is lovely.

Just a different thought, what about a fruit tree so that it can give something back to you beyond just the spring flowers and fall leaves? Maybe a pair of semi-dwarf peach or cherry trees?

You may really only have room for one tree. The bradford pear on the left (top photo) still has much growing to do. Maybe a taller flowering or fruiting shrub for the corner and a tree on to the left? Add another shrub or two between the existing bradford pears in the top photo?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Both are equally beautiful.

Sometimes, a garden/yard that looks too planned (a.k.a. in which there is two of everything b/c of a concern for symmetry) looks just as weird as one with all of the same colors. I would actually only get one dogwood (pink) tree and then something else, like a Japanese maple (purple).
I agree. I think a redbud in the mix would be interesting. Forest Pansy redbud has purple heart shaped leaves and I think their lacy look contrast nicely with dogwoods. red-bud-and-dogwood.jpg

Old 09-21-2011, 11:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Dogwoods bloom for a very brief period in the spring. Blossoms are pretty, but not a good way to choose a tree.

You should plant the tree which best suits the conditions in your target area and has the fewest disease problems. I believe both of these trees are grafted?

Pick the dogwood which will be healthiest tree in your conditions, nonwithstanding the color of their [short lived] blooms.

Grafted dogwoods do suffer from some serious disease problems. Choose a healthy tree breed, not a flower color.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will check into the Red bud tree also. The two choices I mentioned above were our picks out of the 5 trees available at Lowe's near our house. The rest were large maple trees (autumn blaze maple, october glory maple). All of the ones sold near us are for zone 7.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:59 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I vote for the pink. And I second the idea of redbud - they are beautiful, and far less susceptible to problems, than dogwoods. One more suggestion...cut down the Bradford pears! They stink in the spring, and the first really good windstorm you have, once they have any size on them, will take'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden