Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times

Advertisements

I have a rather small lawn in the back yard.
I planted some Scotts EZ Seed and it worked for most areas--
The parts that didnt grown I planted some regular seed from Walmart. Said it was guaranteed to grow.
Nothing.
It's been more than a week and I've been watering it 3-4 times a day.
I cleaned up the area with a rake as best I could and threw down top soil over it.
Did EVERYTHING the bag said to do.
Nothing.
Now what?
Should I re-seed again...and this time just throw the whole bag on the area that wont grow?
Anybody?
Thanks in advance.
-Stagger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Generally, when seeding for grass:

-Use a seed variety best suited to your particular area (soil, climate, sun or shade)
-Aerate the soil prior to planting
-Sow using a seed spreader for even sowing

*** In my area, we use only straw to hold the seed in place...to keep them from blowing away etc. Anything heavier, such as topsoil, will weigh down the seeds...the delicate, tiny seed sprouts cannot push up through heavy soil on top.

Talk with a true landscaper (not just someone who mows grass...) about the right grass for your climate.

Good luck

Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
We've been putting down truckloads of grass seed for the last two years where I work. It is my observation that it is slow to sprout and very dependent on warm temperatures. Insufficient warmth=no sprouts. Then when a few nice warm days roll along it starts to come up. Grass seed seems like a mighty slow germinator.

Patience.

Scott's is a good brand.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Have you ever seen a landscaping company prepare soil for planting? they earn their money because it takes more than scraping and tossing. I'm not familiar with nevada but here in the south when we want to start a new lawn(not reseed an established lawn) we till the soil, put amendments in the soil, use a professional spreader to evenly distribute the seeds, lightly rake the soil in and then cover with straw to keep it from blowing away but mostly to keep the birds out of it. . Then we water and stay off the area as it will be mushy from watering and you will sink in to your ankles. The only time we can toss some seed out is in the fall when we overseed fescue for the winter.

Contact your county extension service to advice on particulars in your zone.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I'm gonna re-seed and use less topsoil.
I think that may be where I went wrong cause I pilled it on heavy.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Before you throw any more money down the tubes, please go look at the label on the back of the bag that indicates what type of seed is in the bag. First and foremost, that will tell us what you are using. Much of the time those seeds from the big box stores contain a lot of weed and they often contain at least some ryegrass in the mix which germinates very quickly and easily just about anywhere to give the customer/gardener the impression that the grass actually worked! Only problem is ryegrass doesn't survive in the heat. Not even far up in the northern states. Some ryegrass is actually an annual and will die no matter what.

Second of all, you obviously live in a climate that is ill-adapted to growing lawns. The concept of a lawn originated in a country that never gets about 75 degrees and rains nearly every day. That doesn't sound like Henderson Nevada, does it? Starting grass from seed is challenging, even here in the southeast where we get 50+ inches of rain a year. But in Nevada, it is an exercise in futility, that I can assure you. I just looked at your weather. Highs in the low 100's. At 6am (your time) it's already 81. I do not see how you can keep your seed bed moist, even with 3-4 waterings unless each watering was hours long in which case that would just rot the seed.

So in summary, I think you've missed your window for starting a lawn by seed in your area. And before you attempt to do it again, find out what it is that you're planting. Because it's obviously going to be very expensive (water wise) and getting the seeds to germinate is only the beginning. You're going to have to water like crazy to keep those young grass plants alive. If I was in your area, and someone held a gun to my head and said "GROW A LAWN, OR ILL SHOOT" I would get sod. You might consider that option as you're starting out with some mature grass plants and some of the roots intact. You will still need to water like crazy.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
You need those long ground airators (sp) and walk all over the area, then get it nice and moist, then put down the seed, then cover it with straw, not topsoil. Dirt is too heavy for the seeds to push through.

The if you desire, cover the straw with the thin green netting to prevent the straw from blowing away.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Thank you both so much!
There used to be grass there last year.
The only reason I'm trying to re-grow it is so I can TEAR IT OUT AND GET RID OF IT.
Crazy huh?
The state of Nevada willpay homeowners $1.50per sq.ft to remove grass.
It's an effort to save water.
Only thing is--the grass has to be there..alive and kicking so to speak.
My water bills are going to go thru the roof again this summer and I don't want that.

Life was soooooo much easier when I lived in my Manhattan apartment.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:00 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Thank you both so much!
The only reason I'm trying to re-grow it is so I can TEAR IT OUT AND GET RID OF IT.
Crazy huh?
My water bills are going to go thru the roof again this summer and I don't want that.

Does it matter what kind of grass? 'Cause if not, I can air mail you some crab grass, lol! Killing that mess is like trying to unmelt ice in the summer.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Thank you both so much!
Crazy huh?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden