Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times

Advertisements

Basically I'd like to know if I can use weed/grass killer -- or ground clear/vegetation killer -- to keep grass from encroaching near a walkway and drive way.

I've trimmed back my grass from my walkway and drive way.

From the walkway -- it's only about a 1/2 inch back -- like a normal edger would trim it back (it's MAYBE an inch in some places)

From my drive way it's trimmed back about an inch and a-half to two inches.

Now that it's trimmed back...can I use a spray stream on weed/grass killer sprayed along the edge of the driveway and walkway -- to keep the grass from growing back into that area.

I do NOT want to kill any more grass back from where it is. I just don't want it to grow into where I've trimmed it from.

If I'm careful not to get any spray on the grass blades can I do this -- use the grass/weed killer?

I don't know how long grass roots are...I wont' kill any of the grass I want to keep will I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Been there, done that, and learned the hard way that it's not a really good idea.

I spray RoundUp on the grass growing in sidewalk/driveway cracks, but spraying it along the edge kills the grass back a LOT farther than you want it to.

Maybe you can do it successfully, but I wasn't able to.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Groundclear is a non selective herbicide that can travel in the soil with rain or heavy watering and kill everything in sight for several feet from where applied for 1+ years. It kills everything it comes in contact with and sterilizes the soil in the application areas.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
No that won't work and here's why.
Depending on the species of grass, the grass plants can extend outward quite a ways and have interconnected root systems. So spraying one piece of the plant with herbicide will effect the whole plant. If it doesn't kill it entirely, it will still probably yellow or suffer some unwanted injury.

Your best bet is just to use a trimmer. I know trimming is no fun, it's my least favorite thing to do in the garden. But that's part of owning a lawn. There is no miracle spray that keeps the appearance you want but takes away all the hard work. It won't look neat, it will look splotchy and uneven. And even then, the grass- especially if it spreads by rhizomes, will be spreading beneath the soil from neighboring grass plants that are still alive and fill in the dead spots and you'll be back to square one before you know it.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,271 times
We dont' have a yard now but in the past we always used a edge trimmer thing (a manual one, not a weed wacker type). It took all of 10 -15 mins and provided a nice clean edge.

I've seen people doing as you are proposing and , not trying to get all tree huggy and judgemental - but why do people want to pour additional chemicals on their lawns all the time?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
It will look bad, because you will kill the grass in an uneven line. What looks so good about an edged lawn is the precise clean edge.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:44 AM

41,950 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Is there a problem with using an edger or a weed whacker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
We dont' have a yard now but in the past we always used a edge trimmer thing (a manual one, not a weed wacker type). It took all of 10 -15 mins and provided a nice clean edge.

I've seen people doing as you are proposing and , not trying to get all tree huggy and judgemental - but why do people want to pour additional chemicals on their lawns all the time?
Exactly ...

Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,911,453 times
Selhars,
I saw a very nice, light, manual edger at Home Depot the other day.
I think I might get it.
i hate weed wackers, the long cord, just hate it.
This thing is light, no plugs, and has sharp teeth in a wheel type
thing to edge the lawn around anything.
Right now, I am using a weed wacker, and I hate it.
By the time I get the thing set up, I could have this done.
Just something to think about.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:40 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Selhars,
I saw a very nice, light, manual edger at Home Depot the other day.
I think I might get it.
i hate weed wackers, the long cord, just hate it.
This thing is light, no plugs, and has sharp teeth in a wheel type
thing to edge the lawn around anything.
Right now, I am using a weed wacker, and I hate it.
By the time I get the thing set up, I could have this done.
Just something to think about.
Be aware that the more you dig into the dirt around your sidewalks, driveway, etc., the more likely you will get crabgrass and other weeds growing there. This was the reason I stopped using a weedwacker.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
I've been using a manual -- foot edger -- the kind with the tall handle with a full-sized foot peddle that you step on like a scooter and rock like a half moon as you step along.

But then you have to go back and pull out and pick up the inch strip you've cut back.
Maybe now that I've really trimmed it back good...my landscaper can KEEP it there.

I have to admit, the last time i truly CUT BACK that edge was two years ago.
My landcscpaer TRIMS it with a string edger -- but that doesn't stop the grass from eventually encroaching back into the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden