Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times

Advertisements

I grow basil too, and I buy fresh local made mozzerella. I have a friend who makes her own, which would be really great, but haven't tried it yet. I saw a story on Texas Country Reporter about a lady who started growing her own olives for olive oil and now has a small company. that would be something! I think she's in the Hill Country, which is a better climate for olives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Where are you?
In a very specific way.
(it matters)
It sure does.
We live in northwest Montana and there's not much we can put in the ground outdoors until about June.
If we started tomatoes now indoors, it wouldn't be long before our house would starting looking like a scene out of "Little Shop Of Horrors"

Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
NJ Jim I found out I'm not fond of basil, either. I grew it last year to fend off bugs. Who knew it would get so big? LOL I'm thinking about growing it again this year now I have a plan for giving it away. I also made a drying rack for my herbs. So I am READY for the herbal onslaught this summer.

Against the advice of many and my better judgement, I started tomatoes, okra, peppers and eggplant in a pot yesterday. I've totally abandoned the "heirloom" tomatoes and I got two hybrids this year. They're resistant to everything. LOL Well, quite a few things. I don't use chemicals on my veggies, so I thought it was the wisest choice.

Among my favorite veggies are peppers and eggplant. Because our season is so short, I always have an awful time trying to grow them. I got two cool new peppers this year...hopefully I can actually get to eat more than one green one.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM

75 posts, read 130,319 times
It's quite important you do not let the Basil go to the flower stage! Do you what I mean? Once the tops shoot off a flower the whole plant changes ( taste ), keep clipping them.
Also if you didn't know, rub the basil on your skin mosquitos hate the smell also and will stay away.

I also don't use chemicals on my veggies, if I get aphids I just boil some tabbaco in a stocking, and spray that mixture. You have to see the bugs scram! Before I do that I try and hand pick off the bugs, because the tabacco also causes the spiders to scram, that is not good.
Catch-22 I guess ( I read that book, oh how I hated it..lol )

Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Jim View Post
It's quite important you do not let the Basil go to the flower stage! Do you what I mean? Once the tops shoot off a flower the whole plant changes ( taste ), keep clipping them.
Also if you didn't know, rub the basil on your skin mosquitos hate the smell also and will stay away.

I also don't use chemicals on my veggies, if I get aphids I just boil some tabbaco in a stocking, and spray that mixture. You have to see the bugs scram! Before I do that I try and hand pick off the bugs, because the tabacco also causes the spiders to scram, that is not good.
Catch-22 I guess ( I read that book, oh how I hated it..lol )
Wow! I didn't know basil helps fend off skeeters! We had millions last year. Couldn't stay out long enough to weed. I'll plant those things all over the place now!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,401,684 times
I live in Maryland but my location is much cooler than the opening poster. I am curious as to why early seeds end up with leggy plants as I've had the experience as well.

Our house is covered with trees. My system was to plant the seeds right after the Super Bowl, as the leaves on the trees are gone and it allowed sunlight into the window. If I waited too long I had these tiny little plants that are months behind the plants I can buy at Walmart in May when it's time to plant. As I plant I have harvest in mind, as we all do, and I do not want to start with a month handicap, I want those tomatoes as soon as possible.

So if I wait until March to plant the seeds how will that give me a full healthy plant by May? Why do the plants become leggy if planted in Feb but not so if I wait? I highly doubt the home temp is much different in Feb than it is in March/April

Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 AM

50,345 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Here is Savananh, the tomato plants can go into the garden in less than a month. I just put my seedlings into their own little pots yesterday, so I hope they remain healthy and grow big in the next month.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

So if I wait until March to plant the seeds how will that give me a full healthy plant by May? Why do the plants become leggy if planted in Feb but not so if I wait? I highly doubt the home temp is much different in Feb than it is in March/April
I think the plants become leggy for the same reason any plant does: insufficient light. A lot of veggies like quite a bit of direct sunlight. The indirect sunlight you can get in a house, or at best, the limited amount of direct sun on their leaves is not as good as "real" direct sunlight outside, and they're probably not going to get 4-6 hours of direct sun.

So, the plant ends up reaching for the sun and not growing as well. That's probably why people suggested to me to start plants only a month before planting. But I think that's only valid for those of us who don't have grow lights and mini greenhouses. In professional greenhouse-type conditions, it probably pays to start plants 2 months early since it is easier to replicate the conditions they need to prosper.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I think the plants become leggy for the same reason any plant does: insufficient light. A lot of veggies like quite a bit of direct sunlight. The indirect sunlight you can get in a house, or at best, the limited amount of direct sun on their leaves is not as good as "real" direct sunlight outside, and they're probably not going to get 4-6 hours of direct sun.

So, the plant ends up reaching for the sun and not growing as well. That's probably why people suggested to me to start plants only a month before planting. But I think that's only valid for those of us who don't have grow lights and mini greenhouses. In professional greenhouse-type conditions, it probably pays to start plants 2 months early since it is easier to replicate the conditions they need to prosper.
This makes a lot of sense, thanks. But I"m still left to wonder just how you grow tomatoes from seeds. It's obviously too cold outside and I do not have an interest in investing in a greenhouse.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This makes a lot of sense, thanks. But I"m still left to wonder just how you grow tomatoes from seeds. It's obviously too cold outside and I do not have an interest in investing in a greenhouse.
Buy a planter pan. They sell them at Walmart or any of the home improvement box stores. You plant the seeds in the little soil packets, put the tray somewhere were it gets light, and water daily. When it gets closer to planting time move the tray outside during the day to get the plants acclimated. Slowly leave them out longer until they can stay out overnight. When it is finally warm enough plant them in the ground. I've used this method for the past couple of years, usually works great.

I've used this not only for tomatoes, but also cucumbers, egg plant, and beans. Be careful with beans though, as they grow so fast that they can become unmanageable within two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden