Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

I have a lovely arbor in a section of my garden that is sunny at this time of year but gets fairly shady in the summer. Maybe 3-4 hours of sun in July and August. I'd like to grow a flowering vine on it. I know clematis is a sun lover, but are any varieties ok in part shade? The white ones, perhaps (I thought I read white flowers generally do well in shade).

Or, is there another vine you'd recommend? Something Lowes might carry would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Silver Lace Vine grows fast and still lets light pass. Small flowering clematis varieties look nicer I think.
http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants...nica/3339.html
www.clematisnursery.com/

Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 AM

I just looked it up--pretty plant, but I see warnings that it can be invasive. Do you have problems with this? Also, do deer eat it? We don't have a huge deer problem, but they do wander through from time to time and eat up my lilies and roses. Then again, maybe the deer will counter balance the invasiveness?

Old 02-28-2013, 04:25 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Is no deer in my area. Mine trails along the house upwards if it gets too sprawly we cut a bit off I am on heavy clay soil so nothing grows fast. In one of my homes in the past which had a balcony I grew one in a large container and that one never got big . I also have a blue wysteria but that one the branches get into the roof so they have to be cut regularly.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:10 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I am in zone 8, so I'm not sure about the range, but I have had phenomenal success with Carolina Jessamine (Jasmine). It is a nice bushy vine that has been covered with lovely yellow flowers all winter here.
I planted it and a Sweet Autumn Clematis at the base of my mailbox. The clematis is pretty when it blooms, but it's impact is way less impressive than the Carolina Jessamine.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I have a lovely arbor in a section of my garden that is sunny at this time of year but gets fairly shady in the summer. Maybe 3-4 hours of sun in July and August. I'd like to grow a flowering vine on it. I know clematis is a sun lover, but are any varieties ok in part shade? The white ones, perhaps (I thought I read white flowers generally do well in shade).

Or, is there another vine you'd recommend? Something Lowes might carry would be ideal.

Clematis don't need a full day of sun and may prefer very bright shade and dapppled sunlight for part of the day especially when it gets hot out. In my old garden I had similar conditions and had a beautiful clematis growing over my arbor. It received morning sun but was in shade from about noon on, under a canopy of very tall and dense trees. Every late spring it put on a show and looked like a Bridal Veil it was so full of white flowers. For the life of me I cannot remember its name so I tried finding it and came across a lovely site with a variety of "shade loving" clematis you could try to find. Make sure no matter which clematis you get to keep it well mulched and evenly watered (the old "leaves in the sun and the roots in the shade" saw comes from the roots needing to be kept evenly moist).

Sugar Creek Gardens for exceptional and rare plants The variety "Alabast" is very similar to the one I had and had a similar bloom period, it had a second bloom in September that was lighter than the one in spring but still beautiful.

Another list here from the International clematis society on shade loving varieties that may be useful to have when you go shopping: http://www.clematisinternational.com/growing.html

Last edited by J&Em; 02-28-2013 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
Sweet-Pea vines do well in shade or sun, are drought tolerant and quite hardy. They have a thick, lush foliage and small purple flowers. At least the ones at my house have purple flowers. Now that I think about it, the color might range from white to pink to purple.

uh

Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
look into climbing hydrangeas too! they are a gret part shade climbing vine

Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Carolina Jessamine is a native, and I've heard it does well in shade. There are two sweet autumn clematis in yards in my new and old neighborhoods. Both are GIGANTIC, but do smell wonderful in Fall.

Sweet autumn clematis are somewhat invasive in our area. I think the native alternative is Virgin's bower (clematis virginiana).

One of the SAC's is growing ALL over a 20+ foot tall holly hedge. I'm not sure if it is a single plant or if it has re-seeded. I believe it does do well in partial shade from what I have seen. To be fair doesn't seem to be killing any plants like ivy and the smell is strong and sweet. Carolina Jessamine also supposedly smells really good, although I've never seen any in bloom or smelled it myself.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 AM

The sweet pea vine and the carolina jessamine are great suggestions. I'll have to look them up and do a comparison against the clematis. I like the look of all three, so I guess the best idea is to choose the one that has the longest bloom time, or maybe the one least likely to attract deer. Anyone have opinions on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden