Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
That's so interesting that Iris won't grow in Hawaii, I suppose they need the cold to go dormant? What about up the volcanos where there is snow? But you have so many unique tropicals to choose from, lucky.

Actually that is not completely true. Not all Irises we have on the mainland will grow in Hawaii but there are actually quite a few that like the tropics. Hawaii's growing zones, even at higher altitudes, are still primarily 10-12 or 13 depending on which source you go by.

Some of the Irises are water loving (wetland, marsh, ponds) like Iris ensata Variegata, Iris versicolor and Iris lousiana Others like moisture but don't need wet ground all the time like Japanese Iris (Iris ensata)

There are also Iris like plants that are popular in the tropical parts of the country like the walking iris (Neomarica caerulea) and African or cape Iris (several different ones in the Dietes family).

This has pages with pictures of several of these irises and iris cousins: Plants of Hawaii: Iridaceae (Iris family) If you click on the flowers it brings up new pages with more pictures that are click-able and some are gorgeous. Plants of Hawaii: Neomarica caerulea (Walking iris, twelve apostles) - Image 120424-9379 and Plants of Hawaii: Dietes grandiflora (Large wild iris) - Image 090430-6999 They make me wish I could have a Hawaiian garden!

@ hotzcatz, if you are still reading I found something from the Cooperative Extension on Hawaii for plants that are familiar from the continent that will grow in Hawaii, and some of the problems plants can have (like something that is invasive or gets scale badly making them big no-nos). It has lots of pictures and familiar plants but what stopped me is that the horticulturist states the following: "Daylily, the common orange or yellow forms, does much better than the new hybrid forms." Maybe those cheap ones are best?
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/OF-41.pdf I hope you can find some good alternatives to use from these links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The day lily folks are always at the big plant sales, and if I get there early enough they won't all be sold out. I've gotten a few from them before, although those lilies were planted at the old house and didn't get transferred to the new one. Hmm, I'll go see if they've survived and get a copy for the new house. Or! The big spring sale should be soon, so I can go get more!

Here is an iris from the front yard that was picked today. It was smelling lovely so it got brought in but it started to rain so I didn't gather any green foliage to go with it.

I don't know if it has a name, I suppose it does most plants do, although it is just a small common purple iris that we got at a yard sale last year. It has been happy and multiplied since then.

There are a lot of orange day lilies over by the Hongwanji and there are also some wild amaryllis over in a forest area near Waipio, so I suppose a start or two could be found if the day lily folks at the big plant sale are sold out again.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The day lily folks are always at the big plant sales, and if I get there early enough they won't all be sold out. I've gotten a few from them before, although those lilies were planted at the old house and didn't get transferred to the new one. Hmm, I'll go see if they've survived and get a copy for the new house. Or! The big spring sale should be soon, so I can go get more!

Here is an iris from the front yard that was picked today. It was smelling lovely so it got brought in but it started to rain so I didn't gather any green foliage to go with it.

I don't know if it has a name, I suppose it does most plants do, although it is just a small common purple iris that we got at a yard sale last year. It has been happy and multiplied since then.

There are a lot of orange day lilies over by the Hongwanji and there are also some wild amaryllis over in a forest area near Waipio, so I suppose a start or two could be found if the day lily folks at the big plant sale are sold out again.

I'm so jealous that you have such gorgeous flowers to cut and bring in. That Iris looks like one of the Japanese Irises (Iris Ensata) that are supposed to do really well in Hawaii. Its beautiful already. Please post a picture of when it is fully open so we can see all the colors. Without seeing the center, so far it looks closest to 'Gusto' and 'Electric Rays' but it could be many others.

PlantFiles: Picture #2 of Japanese Water Iris, Japanese Flag, Russian Iris 'Gusto' (Iris ensata)
PlantFiles Pictures: flowerfrenzy picture (Japanese Water Iris, Japanese Flag, Russian Iris 'Electric Rays' (Iris ensata))

Good luck finding and buying those daylilies. Our plant sales are still coming in the next 2 months. The first big one I plan to be there at least half hour before it starts and its not one that is publicized. They've sold out of the most interesting plants early on in previous years but I've snagged a few good ones.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,264 times
Yes I love Gilbert H Wild. I ordered 40 different varieties of day lilies and they are all blooming after two months in the ground. I buried each label near the respective plant until I get more time to make up official labels. The rebloomers and tetras are amazing.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM

177 posts, read 338,495 times
Keep your eyes open for when the local garden clubs & churches do their plant sales to raise money (Spring & Fall). Normally they are fresh dug and potted plants of all types already growing in your climate. You can get variety at a reasonable cost and the moneys are going to good causes.

Another source is the commercial Landscapers who need to change out beds on a seasonal interval The plants just go to their compost heap. I've picked up large quantities of Tulips and Daffodils. They normally plant top quality bulbs and pull right after bloom. The trick is to get them replanted right away with the green stem still attached so they can store for the next year. They may skip one year of bloom but they will survive and divide. These make for great beds of a single color for a statement. If your really nice they may even keep the colors separated for you. Since it may be extra work for them sometimes a gratuity is warranted Gift certificates to local eateries always work well.

REMEMBER always take care of the people that make things run and they will return the favor.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
This is an old thread and I'm surprised I couldn't find I had commented as these are my two most favorite plants.

First I have to say daylilies are not invasive so I think the poster is talking about swamp iris. Yellow, strap leaves (narrow) and they spring up everywhere. I took some from a friend and regularly give them away all the time.

Daylilies do get crowded (just like many perennials) and need to be divided to keep rigorous blooms. Easy as pie to divide and you don't have to be delicate at all. There are some very good videos about dividing daylilies. I just dig up the clump and kill it in the middle with a sharp shooter and then kill it again. It takes a great deal to kill a day lily. And I admit to pay over $50 for a special hybrid daylily. It was brand new and I simply could not wait for it to be mass produced.

Iris are also extremely hardy. I've dropped them accidently in the grass or somewhere where I forgot only to discover it blooming next season. They don't need to be "planted" per se just put them on top of the soil and they will root if the soil has been worked up a bit.
But iris need to be divided much more frequently than day lilies. Crowded iris will not bloom. Just dig them up and snap off the babies and throw away the mother plant.Hard for many to do but it is no longer useful or vigorous. Watch for iris borers and apply sulphur if you find them.

The best way to save on plant material is to join a garden club or make friends with fellow gardeners. We are all the time dividing and need to share and like to get something you may want to share.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Our library has a "plant swap" every spring....I'm sure a lot of those plants are daylilies, as they do increase quickly in even pretty bad conditions and need dividing. I also find daylily plants coming up in places where I didn't put them. Which is fine by me. I like all my daylilies.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:16 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
I had both daylilies and fragrant reblooming iris and I love them both.

Fragrant Iris Collection Fall Shipped - White Flower Farm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden