Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,504 times

Advertisements

Got a quote from a tree company for fertilizing my oak tree, which was scorched at the start of the season. Said that for $500 they would fertilize it & make sure it had healthy growth for next season. I have to believe I can do this myself cheaper! Anyone know what I could use? I am in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,664 times
What kind of oak is it? If it is an oak that is native to the region, don't fertilize it at all. Do you know why the tree was scorched? $500 is outrageous to fertilize a tree. They sound like crooks.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Pfaff. You don't need to drop $500 to have this company fertilize your tree.

I am concerned about your description of "scorched". This is not good and it is not normal.

I know there has been a disease terrorizing certain types of oak trees in Texas, oak wilt. Read the following link:
Oak Wilt Management (http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/oakwilt.html - broken link)

If you can determine that your tree is simply stressed and not diseased, fertilizing it yourself is fairly easy. Get some good compost and spread it beneath the tree, gently scratching it into the soil. Add fish meal. All plants love fish meal, it's the best stuff ever. Work in the compost and the fish meal beneath the tree. Fall is a fine time to add these amendments. See that it stays well watered throughout the growing season.

If the tree is already stressed for whatever reason, infusing it with commercial chemical treatment is not a good idea no matter what this company told you. Harsh fertilizers applied to distressed plants can damage them further.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:45 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
Default motown mary

...if the oak in question is a native of your area,..do not use a chemical
fertilizer on it..follow azoria's advise and use compost or a naturally
occuring mulch beneith it if possible... if the tree's condition worsens,
have a qualified arborist check it...

..and yes..500 dollars to fertilize it sounds way overpriced..especially if
they are only applying it around the tree...

Old 10-10-2008, 09:14 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Since you're in Texas you can find this at the local garden stores:

NutriStar 21-6-8 Tree & Shrub Food

Trim back the tree, then follow the directions for feeding & watering.

Nelson is generally great food overall.

Did it get scorched because of the drought this year?

Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I agree with not fertilizing. If the tree is already stressed a synthetic fertilizer will just add to it, as well as destroy beneficial microbes in the soil. You do need to find out what the problem is though. Oak Wilt does occur in Texas, and if it's oak wilt there is probably no saving the tree. You also need to find out what type of oak it is. Live oaks and Red oaks are very susceptible to oak wilt, but White oaks and Bur oaks are fairly resistant.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,556 times
I have a large oak in my front yard in Houston. It is dropping little bunches of dead leaves and I can see them up in the tree. Wondering if it could be stressed from street and sidewalk construction or from drought.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:24 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Yes, it can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden