Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 12:41 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times

Advertisements

Round-up (glyphosate) a systemic works well on poison ivy. Temperatures will vary the effectiveness as far as speed time to show results. The warmer the weather, the faster the cells grow, the quicker the herbicide moves through the plant(s) and takes effect. If you're using the regular RTU Round-up this time of the year, in New England, you'll probably need 2 applications about a week apart. Apply the chemical thoroughly on the foliage. Be careful of any plants you want to save. Have some patience.
If you get the pro/concentrated version of Round-up and use a stronger mix your results may show quicker. If this was the heat of summer you'd see results in 1-3 days.
An alternative to Round-up would be Brush-b-gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
I bought some stuff, manufactured by Dow, called Brush Clear. It will do the job for you. Guaranteed to kill for a year. It's not poison ivy but my mother had ivy growing along both sides of the front sidewalk. In spring of last year, when we moved in my parents' house, I sprayed both sides of the sidewalk to get rid of that junk. Since I sprayed solid to get it all, I had bare ground all summer. Grass is coming back to the bare spots but there's no ivy!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
nitram has some good comments. Also note that Round-Up works best when the plants are still seedlings, or, when they are storing nourishment for the winter at the end of fall. So for PI you get the best effect on existing vines if you apply the herbicide just before the plants change color in the fall. The Round Up ingredient will then be massively transported to the underground parts of the plant and hopefully wipe out all further growth.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's been (and still is) an extremely wet spring and early summer around here. Not only do we have ticks all over the place but poison ivy is growing up between the cracks in the deck and up the side of the house!! I hate using chemicals but obviously no one wants to get poison ivy.

We did try Round Up and it didn't seem to do anything. Maybe we have to wait a few days to see any results? Meanwhile, it just keeps on raining so I wonder if it got washed off. It had about 24 hours in between rain storms.

Any recommendations? Should we just wait for a dry day (if ever) and try another dose of the Round Up? Or do we have to go to something stronger.
Roundup never works on some really persistent plants, and poison ivy is one of them. Trumpet vine is another. Roundup knocks them back, but doesn't kill them. You need to get a "brush killer" and read the label to see what weeds it kills. I have one called "Brush and Poison Ivy Killer". That works really well. But even that stuff takes several applications for trumpet vine, which is a bigger problem here.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I bought some stuff, manufactured by Dow, called Brush Clear. It will do the job for you. Guaranteed to kill for a year. It's not poison ivy but my mother had ivy growing along both sides of the front sidewalk. In spring of last year, when we moved in my parents' house, I sprayed both sides of the sidewalk to get rid of that junk. Since I sprayed solid to get it all, I had bare ground all summer. Grass is coming back to the bare spots but there's no ivy!
This is another very good one. I really wouldn't waste Roundup trying to kill poison ivy.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Many friends have told me that Roundup changed their formula and it does not work on PI as well as it did in years past. That said it is difficult to do and requires numerous treatments.

Once it stops raining get a large lobster or spaghetti pot filled with boiling water and dump it on the plant keeping a good aim on it if possible. I have done this many times with stubborn weeds and it kills them by scalding the plant itself. It can take a few shots but it is worth a shot.
That will also damage any nearby plant or tree roots and pretty much do away with all the soil organisms, too. I use boiling water ONLY between pavers on in concrete expansion joints. One time, I poured boiling water at the edge of a paver patio and a couple days later, all the grass at the edge of the patio was dead.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, you do.
It is NOT instantaneous!
When it works properly, Roundup takes about a week, sometimes longer. It's a slow death, but it's very effective. If a weed killer kills all the topgrowth quickly, chances are the roots are still viable. That's why vinegar isn't very reliable.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, you do.
It is NOT instantaneous!
Exactly right. We used Roundup in my job, and it would typically take a good 8-10 days, possibly longer depending on weather, and temp, to start seeing results. Roundup is taken through the leaves, then has to travel through the plant, to the roots, unlike some weed killers that simply " burn" the plant to the ground, not affecting the roots. Also, the roundup you buy at the hardware stores, if you read the label, is just a small portion of chemical, the rest is inert agents. If you really want to make a witches brew, I would suggest going to a Co-op, or feed store, as they will have it full strength, and you can make a batch according to your needs. Be aware, however that the wrong ratio of Roundup to water will effectively render it the same as anything else, and it will simply burn the plant without killing it to the roots. Another thing you can do, if you are getting rain, off and on, is to add a surfactant to your spray mix. I don't believe the pre-mix has this, but check the label. If it doesn't, and you aren't able to find surfactant, then a small amount of dish soap works just as good. Add a small amount to your spray mix, and mix well. This will help, somewhat to hold the chemical to the leaves, if it is a light rain. But the optimum effect for spraying will be achieved if you can do it on a warm,windless day, with temps around 70, or above, and no rain for at least 24 hours for the chemical to get into the plant. Roundup is really a very handy chemical, as it doesn't bind with the soil. That means if you spray it on the ground, and a heavy rain comes it will not travel, and kill all in it's path unlike some herbicides. I would use it in a weakened mixture to spray around the base of my trees to keep the grass away, making it easier to mow around, and it never harmed the tree. If anyone reads this, and decides to try it, you must remember that if the chemical touches any branch, or leaf of the plant, it will do serious harm, and possibly cause death to the plant. Good luck on ridding your yard of that nasty poison ivy.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
There are two tools that work very efficiently at controlling these poisonous vines – weed wackers and lawnmowers. As long as they are constantly cut low; they will eventually die. Of course, people that are sensitive to the poisonous vines, should not use this kind of treatment - the weed wackers throw bits and pieces all over your clothing (best to wear heavy blue jeans, long sleeves and safety goggles). If the vines are too tough for the wacker; I just clear off the leaves (with the wacker) and then take clippers to the vines. Of course the lawnmower works even better – it discharges away from the operator. However; you cannot always use a lawnmower close to trees, rocks and houses.

They do work and don't require the chemicals. I usually wear heavy gloves, long sleeves and long pants when working around poisonous plants. I do not have any allergies so far – but that can change with age and you do want to minimize your exposure. I also brush off my pants, with my gloves, real good before I go into the house.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,527,671 times
We use Round Up Poison Ivy spray all the time. Takes time but it does work. Our yard had it very bad and we had to cut a lot of the vines that grew up trees with a saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden