Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 AM

936 posts, read 2,083,388 times

Advertisements

I am having crab grass problem with my lawn. I tried to dig up the crab grass but it was difficult and left unsightly 'holes' in my lawn. I digged up about 20% of the crab grass already but I am not sure if this is the best method. I have several questions:

1. Is there a herbicide for killing only crab grass?
2. If there is a crab grass herbicide, do I also need to dig the crab grass up too?
3. What to do with the holes? Are there grass seeds that I can used to grow new grass?

Many thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 AM

955 posts, read 4,091,065 times
There are a couple different chemicals available that will kill crabgrass in a lawn without killing the lawn grass. One of these is named Drive - I'm not sure of the active ingredient. I'm also not sure if it is sold over the counter or if you need to be certified to purchase it.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 AM

468 posts, read 1,542,596 times
I've had great luck with Ortho Weed-B-Gone Max. There are two types and the "Max" formula is specifically for crabgrass while killing other weeds as well.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Bubba if you have already dug up 20% if your lawn, I recommend killing it all and starting over. You have an infestation, not a problem that can be cured by spraying a selective herbicide.

Ok reread the post 20% of the crab grass. I would recommend calling a professional landscape company that specializes in spraying. The chemicals you need to rid yourself of a infestation can not be purchased usually without a pest control license, unless you can get them from the underground economy.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Crab grass covers about 10% of my lawn right now. I will try Ortho Weed-B-Gone Max first and if it doesn't work then I will go with professionals.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Bubba if you have already dug up 20% if your lawn, I recommend killing it all and starting over. You have an infestation, not a problem that can be cured by spraying a selective herbicide.

Ok reread the post 20% of the crab grass. I would recommend calling a professional landscape company that specializes in spraying. The chemicals you need to rid yourself of a infestation can not be purchased usually without a pest control license, unless you can get them from the underground economy.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 PM

Ron,

I sprayed the crab grass with Ortho Weed B Gone Max and after two days I see some of the crabgrasses turning brown but a majority of them still look very healthy. How long does it take for the crabgrass to die or do I need to spray more?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
I've had great luck with Ortho Weed-B-Gone Max. There are two types and the "Max" formula is specifically for crabgrass while killing other weeds as well.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 AM

468 posts, read 1,542,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
Ron,

I sprayed the crab grass with Ortho Weed B Gone Max and after two days I see some of the crabgrasses turning brown but a majority of them still look very healthy. How long does it take for the crabgrass to die or do I need to spray more?

Thanks,

I get the same result when I spray my yard with Ortho Weed-B-Gone max. Some of the crabgrass dies within a few days. Some look like they are still green.

I usually wait about a week then tug on some of the crabgrass that still looks green. Most of the time the weeds will pull out of the ground without any real effort. Which tells me that the roots were being killed which is what I wanted.

If you still have really green looking crabgrass after about 2-3 weeks then you can spray another application on your lawn. That's what I do if I need to.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
....perhaps you can try embracing your crab grass and learn to love it!?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
....perhaps you can try embracing your crab grass and learn to love it!?
LOL I was afraid to say this! LOL Dude, crabgrass is all over my lawn. As is clover, and a bunch of other "weeds." I say live and let live. Honestly, it would probably be impossible for me to get rid of them. As long as they stay out of the flower beds, I try not to care.

Crabgrass is an annual weed, btw and it reproduces by seed. Since the fluffy seed heads seem to be effective in "spreading" their babies, I think even if you get rid of yours, the neighbors' will invade your lawn again. I could be wrong, though.

I think if you keep it cut this year so it doesn't seed, maybe that will help reduce the numbers for next year...

Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
LOL I was afraid to say this! LOL Dude, crabgrass is all over my lawn. As is clover, and a bunch of other "weeds." I say live and let live. Honestly, it would probably be impossible for me to get rid of them. As long as they stay out of the flower beds, I try not to care.

Crabgrass is an annual weed, btw and it reproduces by seed. Since the fluffy seed heads seem to be effective in "spreading" their babies, I think even if you get rid of yours, the neighbors' will invade your lawn again. I could be wrong, though.

I think if you keep it cut this year so it doesn't seed, maybe that will help reduce the numbers for next year...
Well unfortunately if the OP is truly in San Diego because of his climate it could reproduce year round. Think of the San Diego Climate as a perpetual late spring/ early summer for most of the year. No frost.

We have two type of crab grass in California. The Smooth crab grass variety will still produce seed when cut to a 1/4 inch. As such needs a chemical helper to get rid of the infestation.

However I agree in those areas which have a frost or the soil gets down to below 40, cultural controls will work as well or better but take longer to implement for crab grass control. Maintaining a healthy and vigorously growing lawn in the best way to keep out unwanted weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden