Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 05:54 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times

Advertisements

I have a variegated Kousa Dogwood tree. We planted it last fall. It survived the winter just fine (we're in Southern Oregon) but, it does NOT like this heat we've been getting. It needs to be deep watered every couple of days or the leaves go limp. The last time we went out of town, I just kept the hose dripping on it the whole time. Now, I have a flimsy frame that's holding up some burlap to shade it from the sun. Still...the leaves are browned on the edges, but it seems to be doing fine. HOWEVER....that's just way too much trouble for one tree. I'm thinking of moving it to a completely shaded location.
Has anyone ever moved a Kousa Dogwood? I don't want to kill it and will wait til the weather cools a bit. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:43 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
Kady,
We have them in South Carolina and it is hot here too. They do seem to appreciate some shade
in the hot afternoon.
If you planted the tree last fall, you should have little problem moving it this fall.
It isn't really established yet, it will just be a year when you move it.
Try your best not to over water it though. See if it looks better in the evening
after the sun goes down, and the leaves look better then.
It's easier to kill a tree or shrub or plant by overwatering, so be careful.
Mulch it up real good with at least 3 inches of mulch and see if you can stop watering
quite so often.
Good luck moving it, I'm sure it will do better in part shade, they do here.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Kady,
We have them in South Carolina and it is hot here too. They do seem to appreciate some shade
in the hot afternoon.
If you planted the tree last fall, you should have little problem moving it this fall.
It isn't really established yet, it will just be a year when you move it.
Try your best not to over water it though. See if it looks better in the evening
after the sun goes down, and the leaves look better then.
It's easier to kill a tree or shrub or plant by overwatering, so be careful.
Mulch it up real good with at least 3 inches of mulch and see if you can stop watering
quite so often.
Good luck moving it, I'm sure it will do better in part shade, they do here.
Well, I just went out and looked at it. The leaves look fine, but it was only 93 today and I gave it a good soak yesterday. When it doesn't get water often, the leaves start to curl up and die. They don't just get limp. But, we've had a real nasty heat wave with temps around 100 every day!
I think it will like more shade!!
Thanks!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I grew them in HotLanta very successfully and they are one of my favorite small trees. Yes some shade is essential. Wait till it is dormant but before the ground freezes. Dig the new hole first so it is all ready for the newly dug up tree. Get a good root ball, transplant with as much original soil where it is now as possible- DO NOT FERTILIZE. It's not the heat that has it stressed but the bright sun! Good luck.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I grew them in HotLanta very successfully and they are one of my favorite small trees. Yes some shade is essential. Wait till it is dormant but before the ground freezes. Dig the new hole first so it is all ready for the newly dug up tree. Get a good root ball, transplant with as much original soil where it is now as possible- DO NOT FERTILIZE. It's not the heat that has it stressed but the bright sun! Good luck.
Yea....needs more shade. I miscalculated the summer sun angle when we planted it last fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden