Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

and I met some interesting people. First we put in the ad where we were, pictures and info about the plants available (links), we needed their telephone number so we could call, etc.

We had 37 inquiries in two days.

More than half failed to leave a phone number .( DH said "if they can't follow directions, they don't deserve free plants").
4 asked where we were- hello-we put our towns name- Did you expect us to list our address in a Craigslist ad?
3 made appointments and failed to show and never called. This was especially sad as I made appointments every half hour for one afternoon so somebody missed out because of the inconsideration of others.
3 people came to dig and as they were touring my garden pointed to other plants and said "Hey can I dig up some of that?" I couldn't believe it!
1 person asked if I could just pot some plants up for them and leave them at the curb.labeled of course.
Wow-just wow!
2 wanted to visit and talk gardening and I think I made new friends. Yay!
1 older lady told me over the phone I should never try to sell anything on Craigslist "cause somebody will try to rob you". I told her I was giving it away and I wasn't afraid somebody would dig up my yard under cover of darkness."Still you should be careful cause people will know where you live and will come back to rob you." Duh people know somebody lives here already...
I'm expecting more folks today.

I have crocosmia "Lucifer" - it has to be divided almost every year to bloom nicely.
Japanese iris and money wort and 5ft tall yellow canna lilies. They reproduce like crazy and I have to give a bunch away every year.

BTW I'm telling people to bring their own shovel and newspapers or buckets as I want them to knock off as much soil as possible . I don't want holes in my garden.
2 said they wouldn't get around to planting them for awhile and did I have some potting soil and pots they could use. Unreal what people expect for something given to them absolutely free.

Last edited by no kudzu; 07-26-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
"Still you should be careful cause people will know where you live and will come back to rob you." Duh people know somebody lives here already...
LOL at this one! My thinking exactly. I always chuckle at that warning. Giving away stuff free on CL is always a pain, even when it's just a curb alert! I put stuff out on the curb and post the ad on CL so I don't have to deal with answering the door, and guess what? EVERY single time, at least one person has to come knock on the door anyway even though the stuff is clearly out there with a sign saying "FREE!!" Usually it is stuff that I could sell, but choose not to.. because I don't want to deal with the phone or the door! Duh!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
3 people came to dig and as they were touring my garden pointed to other plants and said "Hey can I dig up some of that?" I couldn't believe it!
That is the thing that may come back to bite you.

Same scenario with my friend who gave away plants...

and one night, the plants that people took an interest in disappeared. They DID leave a note that said "Thanks" with a smiley face.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That is the thing that may come back to bite you.

Same scenario with my friend who gave away plants...

and one night, the plants that people took an interest in disappeared. They DID leave a note that said "Thanks" with a smiley face.
Oh man, I would be livid. I'm keeping names and phone numbers and I would find them and creep back in their yards to reclaim my green friends and leave deer scat (or maybe people) as a calling card with no Thanks and no smiley face.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
She was quite sad to see her beloved plants dug out, that's for sure.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:01 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Oh, I wish Ilived near you!! I am dying for some Crocosmia! I buy corms and they never amount to anything, usually because I forget to water them or forget where I planted them!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
NO way is anyone coming to dig in my garden. I admire your chutzpah!

In the past I have dug things out (iris, for example) and bagged them to take to work, church, coffee clatch, etc. They always go.

I have also put things by the curb: Free. They are gone within the hour.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
NO way is anyone coming to dig in my garden. I admire your chutzpah!

In the past I have dug things out (iris, for example) and bagged them to take to work, church, coffee clatch, etc. They always go.

I have also put things by the curb: Free. They are gone within the hour.
Oh believe me I stand right there supervising and also I have to make sure they don't take it all. I know it would be easier on me if I just let 1 person take it all but my purpose is 2 fold. I want my perennials divided and I want to share my bounty. I just may be encouraging a newbie like somebody once encouraged me by giving me free plants. What goes around comes around, don't ya know!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM

A delightful surprise when my last digger came with his trunk loaded with surprises to share with me-- Louisiana Iris, which I will grow in containers cause they like lots of water, some pretty little yellow flowered ground cover which he did not know what it was, another shade loving little grass which looks like chives, a different colored shorter canna than I was giving away and some potted up crepe myrtle which blooms purple which I don't have. That was so sweet. Another new friend. I should post on CL more often!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I've done similar things with similar results. Recently I had some tree seedlings to give away and talked to a woman who said she'd come by. They were tiny, so I put them on the porch in a 5-gallon bucket so I could dampen their roots and so that she'd see them. She took the bucket too! I couldn't believe it.

Wish I lived close to you NK--we could exchange some stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden