Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,037,459 times

Advertisements

Early this spring I pruned my butterfly bushes way back. Now I have no blooms this summer. I assume I pruned at the wrong time or maybe I should have not pruned at all. Anyone know what I did wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
There are a couple of different varieties and one grows on previous growth which you most probably cut off. It should be ok next year, those normally are pruned in the mid to late summer.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,692 times
At my former home I had three beautifully large and gorgeous B bushes, I have since moved so I don't know of their current state. I never pruned them so I can't say if you should/shouldn't or the outcomes but I found this, hope it helps!

As soon as I am able to...I will be encircling my property with beautiful, luscious, sweet smelling butterfly bushes, they are remarkable and fascinating. I never had butterflies AND the huge variety of them...plus the many hummingbirds as well while living in the Chicago metro area. Can't wait!

Since they bloom on new wood, even if there is no die-back, cut them back to the ground every spring. Even where winters are mild enough for the stems to survive, prune severely to stimulate abundant growth on which flowers are borne.

Butterfly Bush: How to Plant, Grow, and Care for Buddleia

and this...

Regarding your butterfly bush (Buddlia), you are safe to prune it at either time as long as it is late winter moving into early spring. As a matter of fact you can prune them any time of the year except early winter.

Pruning butterfly bushes - Growing A Greener World TV

and lastly this.

And while it has been said that improper pruning practices result in weakened or damaged plants, this is not the case with the ever-popular butterfly bush.

Information On Butterfly Bush Pruning

Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
At my former home I had three beautifully large and gorgeous B bushes, I have since moved so I don't know of their current state. I never pruned them so I can't say if you should/shouldn't or the outcomes but I found this, hope it helps!

As soon as I am able to...I will be encircling my property with beautiful, luscious, sweet smelling butterfly bushes, they are remarkable and fascinating. I never had butterflies AND the huge variety of them...plus the many hummingbirds as well while living in the Chicago metro area. Can't wait!

Since they bloom on new wood, even if there is no die-back, cut them back to the ground every spring. Even where winters are mild enough for the stems to survive, prune severely to stimulate abundant growth on which flowers are borne.******

Butterfly Bush: How to Plant, Grow, and Care for Buddleia

and this...

Regarding your butterfly bush (Buddlia), you are safe to prune it at either time as long as it is late winter moving into early spring. As a matter of fact you can prune them any time of the year except early winter.

Pruning butterfly bushes - Growing A Greener World TV

and lastly this.

And while it has been said that improper pruning practices result in weakened or damaged plants, this is not the case with the ever-popular butterfly bush.

Information On Butterfly Bush Pruning
That is only true for the new growth variety, I had both and one would bloom on new growth and the other on old. True you can cut both back BUT it must be done in the proper cycle. They are like hydrangeas some are new and some are old growth. The BB that is on old growth has paired leaves and the other alternating.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 PM

I must have the variety that grow on old growth since I pruned to the ground and have no flowers at all but very good new growth. I'll see what happens next summer.

I too get lots of butterflies and my first hummingbird last year.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:27 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,393 times
FWIW, here in Colorado my butterfly bushes (which die back to the ground every winter here in zone 4) have not bloomed yet -- looks like one of them is getting ready to, though. Here they bloom late summer to fall. You might just be giving up on yours too early.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
That is only true for the new growth variety, I had both and one would bloom on new growth and the other on old. True you can cut both back BUT it must be done in the proper cycle. They are like hydrangeas some are new and some are old growth. The BB that is on old growth has paired leaves and the other alternating.
Yeah...no, those aren't my views or words as I never pruned my bushes so I couldn't and didn't say what would/could work. Just googled and found those sites to be interesting.

Thanks for the 'heads up', though!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:37 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
FWIW, here in Colorado my butterfly bushes (which die back to the ground every winter here in zone 4) have not bloomed yet -- looks like one of them is getting ready to, though. Here they bloom late summer to fall. You might just be giving up on yours too early.
Ditto, and I'm in zone 5 Colorado.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:10 AM

Going along with the both Colorado comments, showing you how the same plant can be different in other areas. Things like morning glory, rose of Sharon, mimosa and even butterfly bush, to name a few, can and are considered weeds in different areas.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Going along with the both Colorado comments, showing you how the same plant can be different in other areas. Things like morning glory, rose of Sharon, mimosa and even butterfly bush, to name a few, can and are considered weeds in different areas.
Eeek. You are absolutely right. In Washington it is a class b noxious weed and apparently a big problem. I had no idea. It can be quite invasive. I never suspected. Apparently it is super hard to kill. So it looks like I planted 3 giant weeds in my garden LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden