Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:57 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times

Advertisements

I started saving seeds, for personal use and for trading. I'm amazed that seeds from citrus and other trees would breed true. They're usually grafted, except for some nut trees and perhaps avacado and kiwi, both of whom need a male and female.

However, in Canada this year we couldn't even get my Morgan Thompson seed source: they never shipped to Canada this year. Always the bridesmaid.....and the first one cut off. With the coming of GMO's I would think that we're going to shortly see store bought (major brand store) vegetables not having viable seed. Be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Do you ever take the seeds from for example, a cucumber that you purchased at a store just to see if it will grow? I ask this because I've always heard that they won't grow after being in the refrigerated trucks and whatever.

I bought some sweet peppers which I ended up really loving so I took the seeds from a couple of them, put them in some dirt just to see if anything would happen and now I have so many plants coming up that I've been giving them away.

For the past couple of summers I had probably a half dozen papaya trees producing so much fruit that I couldn't eat it all (also gave a lot away). All from a grocery store bought papaya. Last winter was colder than usual and they didn't survive, but I'm starting some new ones.

It always seems the ones that you put less thought and effort into are the ones that flourish.
Having plants coming up doesn't mean you'll get fruit.

I planted store-bought beans, and I have beans growing out the wah-zoo.

Planted seeds from a store-bought green bell pepper, nothing happened.

Haven't tried anything else but probably will next year. Right now my garden has so much going on that I couldn't think of planting anything else... not to mention that it's a bit late for planting, by now.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I'm in Zone Four but I used to sprout avocado seeds to grow in the house just for the novelty of them. They will no longer sprout.

Daughter has all manner of tasty things growing around and in her compost area by harvest time.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Yes! Compost pile is the best place for surprise volunteer veggies.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 AM

83 posts, read 291,711 times
I've never had to buy Thai basil. I just root the very fresh garnish that comes with my take-away from the little Vietnamese place around the corner, lol! Works like a charm!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:00 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I put an avocado seed in a pot and after a month it sprouted. It's now about 2 feet tall, so I transplanted it into the back yard. I don't know if I'll ever get an avocado, but it's been fun to watch. Now I'm trying the same thing with a mango seed at my husband's request.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
Basil plants have an invasive weed in my garden.
Like mint was in our garden when we were in NM. It was everywhere. I didn't know basil would be the same. I don't use much mint but we love basil. I think it has become the number one herb in this country. Of course mint is growing in popularity as well.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Yes! Compost pile is the best place for surprise volunteer veggies.
We have potatoes in ours.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,433,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Having plants coming up doesn't mean you'll get fruit.

I planted store-bought beans, and I have beans growing out the wah-zoo.

Planted seeds from a store-bought green bell pepper, nothing happened.

Haven't tried anything else but probably will next year. Right now my garden has so much going on that I couldn't think of planting anything else... not to mention that it's a bit late for planting, by now.

Well that would be unfortunate, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I've tried avocado as well. Followed some instructions I found online. Nothing! I'm thinking the squirrels may have stolen those like I suspect they did with my mango.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
About fruit not coming "true from seed." I think that just means it may not taste the same as the fruit it came from. IMO this is more important for the people who have patented certain varieties.

Since I'm not in the tropics, I can't grow stuff like avocado, citrus and papaya...*wipes away tears* Here I've grown garlic and tomatoes. I got the tomatoes from a packet of heirloom cherry, pear and grape tomatoes. These self sow and have come back every year so far. The one that comes back is a yellow cherry.

I tried to grow a sweet potato this year, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. I couldn't get it to grow little baby plants. Can I just put a whole one in the ground?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden