Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:49 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,652 times

Advertisements

Hello Tree Experts,

Can anyone tell me what type of tree it is? We have sprinkler system watering this tree for 50 mins every alternate day for 3 months. Changed the mulch couple of months back but cant seem to understand what is wrong with this tree. It has no leaves and the ones on it are all brown as if the tree is dead or during fall season?

How do I know if the tree is dead or not. I been watering it constantly. It used to be fine but looks like it is getting sick. The bark has some green stuff on it but there are no leaves. Its been like this for a month or so. Its not dead because when I try to bend the branches they don't snap easily.

Maybe its Texas heat but I need your assistance in fixing this issue. I heard these trees are around $1500 or more? Is that true. I don't want to replace it if I can somehow fix it. How often should I water this in summer temperatures of 100 F or so.

Please experts tell me if this is normal or I should probably let the tree go and change the tree.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
What is wrong with my tree... please provide input!!-tree.jpg   What is wrong with my tree... please provide input!!-tree2.jpg   What is wrong with my tree... please provide input!!-tree3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 07:02 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,974 times
I don't know the kind of tree & I don't live in Texas, but judging from the size, I would assume it is a fairly established tree.

I can't imagine watering any tree, particularly one that has been around a while, every other day. Don't know if it is too late, but I would stop the watering. I have huge oak trees in my yard and I don't water them/I assume they have such deep roots that they are securing all the water they need, despite the limited water we have had this summer.

Even on my smaller trees that were just planted in the spring and last year, I don't water them more than once a week.

I hope your tree can make a comeback.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
I don't know the kind of tree & I don't live in Texas, but judging from the size, I would assume it is a fairly established tree.

I can't imagine watering any tree, particularly one that has been around a while, every other day. Don't know if it is too late, but I would stop the watering. I have huge oak trees in my yard and I don't water them/I assume they have such deep roots that they are securing all the water they need, despite the limited water we have had this summer.

Even on my smaller trees that were just planted in the spring and last year, I don't water them more than once a week.

I hope your tree can make a comeback.
So is the tree dead? The house was built last year so probably the builder put it in Jan or so this year because it was an empty lot earlier. I just need to know what I need to do with it. I don't want HOA knocking at my door asking me to replace it. Thats why I been watering it ever since we moved in Feb but need to know if this is normal or its a lost cause (

Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
It's almost impossible to tell a tree unless you can see a healthy leaf. A closeup of a dead leaf would be helpful, though. If it was just planted within a year and is that size, yes, it probably cost over $1,000. I would expect it to need water weekly, but a deep soak throughout the first summer or even 2. The best way is a sprinkler that sprays out about the same distance as the branches spread.
One problem is that the landscapers may not have loosened up the root ball, and if rootbound under the ground the water is not reaching the roots but just running off the outside of the rootball. What I would do now is to use a fork spade to punch many holes 3-6" deep in the ground within two feet of the trunk base, and then give it a good soak with slow flow for an hour. Repeat weekly. It may be too late for it, but it's worth a shot.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:34 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
I also do not know what kind of tree this was, but it is dead now. There is not one sign of life on this tree. It will need to be removed. Sorry.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's almost impossible to tell a tree unless you can see a healthy leaf. A closeup of a dead leaf would be helpful, though. If it was just planted within a year and is that size, yes, it probably cost over $1,000. I would expect it to need water weekly, but a deep soak throughout the first summer or even 2. The best way is a sprinkler that sprays out about the same distance as the branches spread.
One problem is that the landscapers may not have loosened up the root ball, and if rootbound under the ground the water is not reaching the roots but just running off the outside of the rootball. What I would do now is to use a fork spade to punch many holes 3-6" deep in the ground within two feet of the trunk base, and then give it a good soak with slow flow for an hour. Repeat weekly. It may be too late for it, but it's worth a shot.
thanks for the input. Its worth a shot but what you mentioned about water is correct. Whenever I water the tree it would just flow down the street and it felt as if the tree wasn't really absorbing any. I thought that its due to the slope angle but now I know the root cause.

On a side note the builder should fix it if it is not properly installed.. not sure if it is part of warranty

Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I also do not know what kind of tree this was, but it is dead now. There is not one sign of life on this tree. It will need to be removed. Sorry.
I am really sad because for more than a month I been watering it daily and tried all kinds of food, soil, mulch for it..

Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Try contacting the builder, you may get something out of them.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:50 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
it looks dead. but did it leaf out in spring, or has it been like this since winter?

if it did leaf out in spring, it could have gone dormant due to stress, in which case it could make a comeback. see if the small branches break or just bend - if they break pretty easily they're dead.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it looks dead. but did it leaf out in spring, or has it been like this since winter?

if it did leaf out in spring, it could have gone dormant due to stress, in which case it could make a comeback. see if the small branches break or just bend - if they break pretty easily they're dead.
It was fine in jan and feb but then the leaves started going brown and the green stuff covered the bark. I tried breaking the branches. They wont break with hand. I have to turn them and twist them to break them off (even the small ones). I started watering every day on top of alternate day sprinkler sessions. So I am not sure if it will make a comeback.

How long do I wait for comeback and how do I know if it is making a come back. Ideally, if it is dead why is there green stuff on the main bark. That should disappear right? or it has nothing to do with dead tree. Basically dead trees can have fungus as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden