Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:01 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Well I notice the washer and dryer sitting out in the open. Are they going to stay there ? You might want to put a roof over them to protect them. I do think a simple porch area maybe screened in if you get mosquitos would be nice.

Also under and near the slide maybe some sort of padding for protection from falling on the hard concrete.
I think she is just moving in, so I assumed the W/D, and the other stuff is only temporary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 04:39 PM

10 posts, read 30,676 times
Thank you ALL who replied, I am seriously shocked at how detailed you all got and I sincerely appreciate it. We loved all the suggestions and we're making a list of what we think is most realistic for us to do. We'll post an update!

Old 11-27-2014, 07:53 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
autravie went above and beyond, but I have to agree that the ivy may not be the best idea. I love Bougainvillea, but I would be concerned with litter (and thorns) with the pool.

My question to you is what do you like? When you step out of your house, where would you like to be? Spain? Greece? Morocco? Thailand? How many people do you have over to entertain? How private do you want your backyard to be? It looks like the garage opens to the street as well as an alley; how often do you plan on using the street access? Do you like to grill a lot? Is there a natural gas line in the backyard? How much maintenance do you plan on doing back there? Do you like to garden? Give us a feel as to what you think the perfect weekend would be like in your backyard.

There is going to be some sort of screening around the A/C unit as well as the pool equipment for noise and ascetics. All wall space is not evil, the right color can change the mood of the backyard.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:58 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
poke,
Cannas!
Go look online at pics of Cannas by pools.
Yea, in the winter they MIGHT die back, might not, because of where you live.
You have to water them when they get dry, but they aren't expensive, they grow
and give a tropical feel, and easy to control.
Just a thought, my duaghter has them by her pool, they are gorgeous!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:19 PM

108 posts, read 114,585 times
What is this it looks like a store room to put everything useless there. You have wide sunny area and no covering at all. I have recently put shades and canopy on the back yard and it is fantastic. These are beautiful . Protecting my back yard furniture and providing shade . sending you a link so you might get an idea of different options Then you should see what your local provider has to offer.
Shade sails.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:11 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I can't stand the dirt patches, personally. I wouldn't plant them at all.

I'd cement over the little strip for sure, and if a drain needs to be installed, do that.

If you need a clear view to the pool, then I'd cement over the other big dirt patch, too, and add a drain if you need to. If not, I'd consider building a really nice brick or stone barbecue/cooking/serving area there, but only if it fits in with your true vision of the yard, without constraining yourself to working around those dirt patches.

Then slowly add potted plants and a covered area with nice outdoor patio furniture and lighting, as you can afford it.

I just really think there's no way to make plantings look deliberately planned in those spots. Why fight it? Cover them up, then plan your yard the way you want it.

I personally love all the cement lol. It's so much easier to deal with potted plants, even large planters with trees.

Here are some great design ideas:

Bbq Patio Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor

At any rate with your current budget, I'd figure out what you want your yard to look like, pretending those dirt spots aren't even there. Then, use your money to cover them up with cement and/or a barbecue. Or just cement them over (adding drains if really necessary) for now - until you can afford to add a stone barbecue, covered area and furniture and pots with plants, and lighting etc.

Enjoy your project. Congrats on the house!

Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 PM

37 posts, read 88,939 times
Autrevie, kudos on such a detailed, visual reply. Gave me ideas for my own yard.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:39 AM

482 posts, read 902,441 times
I would ask my neighbor with the garage wall if he wouldnt mind if I had a professional mural painted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden