Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:24 AM

19 posts, read 34,001 times

Advertisements

I have a Tulip tree in my garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 06:41 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
SO surprised me with a fully grown Little Gem magnolia. She was delivered on a flat bed in a wooden planter box. Maggie has 40+ feet. The planting hole was dug with a small back hoe, the flat bed was raised and it took several guys to guide her.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:37 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
SO surprised me with a fully grown Little Gem magnolia. She was delivered on a flat bed in a wooden planter box. Maggie has 40+ feet. The planting hole was dug with a small back hoe, the flat bed was raised and it took several guys to guide her.
40feet tall?
How much did it cost?

Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
40feet tall?
How much did it cost?
A lot. You're going to have to call around for local prices.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:54 AM

A typical lot size here in the SF Bay Area is 60 feet wide by 100 deep.
What max tree size is OK for that? I mean something that does cover all the neighbors completely.
So if the lot is 60 feet wide, a tree that has somewhat smaller dimensions than the lot (maybe 30-40 feet tall/wide) should not bother the neighbors too much. I guess. Probaly I could not plant a tree in the center of my lot, so it would be closer to one of the neighbors, that would also limit the max acceptable height. On some streets there are a lot taller (like more than 60 feet tall pine) front yard trees too, but on streets where the neighbors only have smaller ones (like cherry or orange), putting in something that grows too big would probably be a problem.

The other thing is: What (evergreen and deciduous) tree types grow to (at least and no more than) 30-40 feet tall?

Conneting to the original topic: I would buy some half grown trees. For example if a type grows to 30feet, I would buy a 15feet large specimen. It has to be that large when buying it, but later it should not grow to be too large.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:50 PM

About max tree height:
For the same type of tree (for example Little Gem Magnolia) one website says it grows up to 20ft, another one says it grows up to 100ft? Which one is right? Or is the max height different on a front yard than in the forest? I saw this documentation discrepancy about several different types of trees. If the error is 400%, then any data is unreliable.
How can you plan your garden like this? I mean what if the tree wants to grow 3-5x as big as expected? Keep topping it off, or cut it out? Planting trees ahould be a very long term commitment. I mean that if it looks good today, it should not be enough, it has to look good and not interfere with architecture and power lines even decades in the future.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:26 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
About max tree height:
For the same type of tree (for example Little Gem Magnolia) one website says it grows up to 20ft, another one says it grows up to 100ft? Which one is right? Or is the max height different on a front yard than in the forest? I saw this documentation discrepancy about several different types of trees. If the error is 400%, then any data is unreliable.
How can you plan your garden like this? I mean what if the tree wants to grow 3-5x as big as expected? Keep topping it off, or cut it out? Planting trees ahould be a very long term commitment. I mean that if it looks good today, it should not be enough, it has to look good and not interfere with architecture and power lines even decades in the future.
Your confusing two different species of magnolia or the website inputed the wrong info.

Make those calls yet?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:13 AM

MAybe I got confused with how wikipedia pages and google search results work. If I search little gem magnolia, the first wiki page goes to the Magnolia grandiflora page, where a subsection at the bottom is for the little gem. Probably I have to re-check the other plants too.
I didnt buy any plants yet, still in the planning/research phase.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 PM

Does the max height of a tree depend on where it is planted? Like which state (eg. dry California vs wet Florida), and whether it is in a suburb vs in a forest?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:17 AM

I did some research, and it seems that the biggest problem is not buying th etree, but rather how to get it into my backyard.
I have a side-yard about 7ft wide, a yard gate from the driveway around 4ft wide.
I am thinking on these:
12-20feet tall olive tree in 30-36in box.
Windmill palm tree with 6ft trunk. According to the grower we could get this in, but he didnt say how.
8ft trunk pindo palm tree, that is 2000lbs in a 44in box. According to the grower they would move it with a 10000lb forklift.
The forklift would not fit in my sideyard. The olive tree (or any non-palm type) would probably be too wide for my side-yard, while the palms are packed into a long structure. Even though the palms would not be wide, they are still so heavey that it requires special equipment.

So, the problem: Anyone has experience with moving in/out large palm or other trees through a narrow side yard? Is there any equipment that is not a 10000lb forklift, but capable of carrying the 2000lb palm tree while not hitting the wall/fence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden