Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 01:24 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times

Advertisements

Would love some expert assistance

I have always admired this "bushy" beauty and was finally able to obtain a cutting today.
Right now it's wrapped in a wet paper towel and kept in a baggie

What's the best way to get it planted and feeling at home, so I can enjoy the showy flowers? I'm on Long Island (NY), Zone 7/7a

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 02:39 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Here you go -- have fun propagating!

How to Propagate Kerria Japonica | Home Guides | SF Gate

Old 03-29-2015, 11:33 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post

Thanks for the instructions. Unfortunately the ground isn't fully workable yet and just last night it snowed again
Should I keep it in the wet papertowel/baggie for now or use Rootone and plant it indoors in a pot?

Old 03-29-2015, 12:35 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Thanks for the instructions. Unfortunately the ground isn't fully workable yet and just last night it snowed again
Should I keep it in the wet papertowel/baggie for now or use Rootone and plant it indoors in a pot?
I would plant it up now, and yes, use Rootone. Give it as good a start as you can before putting it in the ground. You may even want to keep it its a pot outdoors (when weather permits) for the whole season and then plant it in its permanent spot in the fall. I find this works out better, since a little stick of a shrub that's just getting going is so easy to tromp all over or even worse -- forget to water. In a container, it will be in really good soil and get better care plus real sunshine, wind and rain. Consider the pot an incubator of sorts. Just make sure to plant it in a small pot now, and as it grows, transplant it to a larger container. I would use a seed-starting medium now, for the starter pot and then let it graduate to potting soil in its larger container.

You might even want to keep it in the container through next winter, bringing it into a garage and keeping it watered every 2-3 weeks while it's dormant. Then you could plant it outdoors next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden