Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:32 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times

Advertisements

I know that families lived in tougher times and a small family farm crop failure would be devastating. Farmers were often isolated and even if they weren't, there was no local nursery to run to.

I've have this desire to be able to sustain a variety of food that I grow without a nursery to supplement my garden. I've started vermicomposting and I want to grow heirloom varieties so that I can learn to harvest the seeds. I plant marigolds for, hopefully, pest control. I know that there are other plants for pest control, but I haven't got there yet. (Onions and garlic, right?)

What else did they, or could I, do? If I had to do everything without any outside assistance - like buying DE - what kinds of practices should I be employing?

(Please don't try to discourage me. If I fail, I fail. I want to give it a shot )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
150 years ago, farmers also hunted, trapped and, if near water, fished. They also canned, dried, smoked, and traded. They could also make their own alcohol, soap, candles, and preserves, they baked their own bread, harvested eggs, etc., etc. All of which were consumed or stored, and, if things went as planned, they would have a surplus to sell off. I am not sure where you are going with your question, but a farmer did much, much more than plant crops in order to survive.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
That's an awfully *big* subject for an internet discussion!

Let me say you are on the right track!

You need to learn how to save your own seeds.

You need to learn about your own soil, the climate where you live, and the pests where you live.

You need to learn how to improve your soil with minimal input from commercial sources.

You need to learn about your own nutritional needs and how to meet them.

I think the very first place you should start is with a group called Ecology Action. I say that because they have quantified how much of what you need to grow to meet all your own nutritional needs and how to keep your soil fertile. You can find them at Ecology Action: Home. The main book that describes their methods is John Jeavon's How to Grow More Vegetables.

You should also explore permaculture, especially what permaculturists have to say about perennial crops. I think a good place to start is with a book called Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway.

Another really good book you should read early on is Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowenfels. It's all about the life in your soil, and it is critical that you understand how soil works.

All three books are most likely available in your library.

You should also look for people in your area who share at least some of your goals. These might be master gardeners, preppers, survivalists, permaculturists, homesteaders. Tell us where you live, and I'm sure at least someone here will know of a resource in your locale.

Edited to add - start small. Make a specific goal - I want to grow all my own salad greens for the year - I want to grow all my own onions and garlic - I want to grow enough tomatoes to can a year's supply - and do your best to not get distracted (I pretty much fail at not getting distracted, but it's a good idea anyway!). You want to end your main growing season still full of enthusiasm.

Last edited by jacqueg; 05-27-2015 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 08:41 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
150 years ago, farmers also hunted, trapped and, if near water, fished. They also canned, dried, smoked, and traded. They could also make their own alcohol, soap, candles, and preserves, they baked their own bread, harvested eggs, etc., etc. All of which were consumed or stored, and, if things went as planned, they would have a surplus to sell off. I am not sure where you are going with your question, but a farmer did much, much more than plant crops in order to survive.
I know they did other things to survive, but I'm not interested in learning how to everything (although the alcohol sounds interesting ). I just want to know what practices they employed to optimize their family farms without running to The Home Depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's an awfully *big* subject for an internet discussion!

Let me say you are on the right track!

You need to learn how to save your own seeds.

You need to learn about your own soil, the climate where you live, and the pests where you live.

You need to learn how to improve your soil with minimal input from commercial sources.

You need to learn about your own nutritional needs and how to meet them.

I think the very first place you should start is with a group called Ecology Action. I say that because they have quantified how much of what you need to grow to meet all your own nutritional needs and how to keep your soil fertile. You can find them at Ecology Action: Home. The main book that describes their methods is John Jeavon's How to Grow More Vegetables.

You should also explore permaculture, especially what permaculturists have to say about perennial crops. I think a good place to start is with a book called Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway.

Another really good book you should read early on is Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowenfels. It's all about the life in your soil, and it is critical that you understand how soil works.

All three books are most likely available in your library.

You should also look for people in your area who share at least some of your goals. These might be master gardeners, preppers, survivalists, permaculturists, homesteaders. Tell us where you live, and I'm sure at least someone here will know of a resource in your locale.

Edited to add - start small. Make a specific goal - I want to grow all my own salad greens for the year - I want to grow all my own onions and garlic - I want to grow enough tomatoes to can a year's supply - and do your best to not get get distracted (I pretty much fail at not getting distracted, but it's a good idea anyway!). You want to end your main growing season still full of enthusiasm.
I'll definitely look into those books. They sound like the kind of books that you should own and not have to return to the library.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, and I'm sure they have some good wisdom to share. I'm going to garner information from any source I can, and I figure this as good as anywhere else.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:23 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,334 times
Sorry if anything I write comes across as harsh but I've seen this kind of thing before and people clearly have misconceptions about what farming was all about way back in the olden days. Those farmers who were successful 150 years ago were successful because they were farming in a time where the way the were farming was the norm and could be successful; but things have changed considerably during this time and the market really doesn't support this kind of farming anymore. What you're really interested in is hobby farming or what used to be referred to as market gardening. There are certainly plenty of resources and organizations out there that can provide advice. I've always wondered how legit companion planting is. When I go to the local community garden you can always tell who's new and has been reading a few books because they have marigolds mixed in with their veggies; the experienced gardeners that I know there would never bother with this. Back then you also had cheep labor in the way of a submissive wife and many children, and/or hired hands paid next-to-nothing. Farmers were generally not isolated back then and often relied on one another for help with harvesting and slaughtering. Unless you live near the Amish, good luck with finding that kind of cooperation nowadays. Also, cows and horses were also essential.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Farming with a hand HOE or ox and single plough was a WHOLE lot different.

Modern is EZr but not cheaper!

Bartering was far more common.
Versatile skill set is critical.

Varied income streams is essential. (Many of us work 'night' jobs so we can farm during daylight). As a kid... local farmers worked at the nearby state penitentiary. I chose a factory job (Machinist). I fixed a lot of my equipment on night shift. It was a Win:Win

These days... Growing / Brewing your own fuel would help (if you use diesel).
http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/biodi...ocessorkit.php

Harvesting seed is OK, but probably not the best way to spend your time. (most farmers don't have that extra time for the price / quality of seed). Lower yields, missed germination, and inherent disease can quickly eat the 'free seed' benefit. My granddad had a nice seed mill that was very handy for gleaning seed.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:55 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Try this link to free ebooks on the subject--some are classics: Soil and Health Library
And: The One-Straw Revolution

Old 05-28-2015, 01:49 AM

30,530 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I think the OP is more specifically interested in gardening rather than farming.

Another book suggestion-The Seed Garden: The Art & Practice of Seed Saving

Edited by Lee Buttala and Shanyn Siegel

Old 05-28-2015, 02:17 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Yeah, there was also that "War Between the States" thing.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:43 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I know that families lived in tougher times and a small family farm crop failure would be devastating. Farmers were often isolated and even if they weren't, there was no local nursery to run to.

I've have this desire to be able to sustain a variety of food that I grow without a nursery to supplement my garden. I've started vermicomposting and I want to grow heirloom varieties so that I can learn to harvest the seeds. I plant marigolds for, hopefully, pest control. I know that there are other plants for pest control, but I haven't got there yet. (Onions and garlic, right?)

What else did they, or could I, do? If I had to do everything without any outside assistance - like buying DE - what kinds of practices should I be employing?

(Please don't try to discourage me. If I fail, I fail. I want to give it a shot )

Look into any one of the homesteading forums. There are people doing this here and now (despite the responses on this thread and the uninformed cracks about 'submissive' wives.)

Real people, doing just what you are interested in. Just Google or Yahpoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden