Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,735 times

Advertisements

I'm going to make a final offer to the seller for this house at this afternoon. But the tree is a big concern... I don't know what kind of the tree is..can anyone tell me? Is it too close to the house? Any advice would be appreciate!
Attached Thumbnails
Please help! Is this tree too close to the house?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 04:39 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
The one on the left? Beautiful tree, really really nice. Hard to tell from the photo, is it an oak? From the size of the trunk, I'm inclined to guess the tree predates the construction of the house. I love this tree. The tree is a better tree than the house is an ok house.

The sorry specimen out in the front yard though.....um, no. Sycamore/London plane tree? It looks sad and decrepit. I'd get rid of it.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:53 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
Have no idea what species that tree is, but it does look like some of the branches are touching the roof, which is a concern. Another problem could be is if the town will let you remove it. A lot of towns have setback rules, and even though that tree is on what could be your property, you might not have the final say if it can be cut down. Time to do some homework before making an offer. (Gorgeous tree BTW)

Old 08-28-2015, 06:28 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
might not have the final say if it can be cut down.

Cut down?! Noooo.....

*shudders*

I would venture to guess that the very fine tree has more intrinsic value than the house.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:44 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
None of the branches should touch the roof, so it may need a slight trim. But don't get rid of the tree--the house would look barren without the tree, especially since it's on a corner lot. Is there much traffic there? That should be a bigger concern. It looks like it could be a difficult house to sell.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Unfortunately, yes, it's too close to the house. The branches are not the problem, the roots are, especially if it has a slab on grade foundation. Expect continuing foundation issues with it. Too bad, it's a gorgeous tree. I'd pass on the house unless you can get it for super cheap and flip it. Any inspection should have this on the report, so be aware.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Hopefully you've done your full due diligence and had it inspected.

Hard to tell if the tree is causing foundation damage or not unless it was inspected for that situation.

If you can save it I would just get it trimmed back from the roof and thinned. That will help the health of the tree.

You can set up a root barrier system for the foundation but it could be cost prohibitive if your just trying to flip the house.

The sycamore in front should be done away with.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:39 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
How old is the house? Are there any foundation problems now? If the house has been there for a while (>50 years or so) and there are no foundation problems yet I personally wouldn't worry about it. I would have it trimmed by a certified arborist to get branches off/near the roof but still maintain the health and appearance of that gorgeous tree. The one in the front I would definitely eliminate.

Large healthy trees really do have a positive effect on a home's appearance and value. Case in point: the last home my late H and I owned was a 1970's brick rambler with a huge oak tree on the 1/3 acre lot - tree was in the front yard. That tree had, at minimum, a 100 ft. diameter crown and was truly a flaming torch in the fall, and provided lovely shade when green. No foundation issues. After my H died and I sold the house, the new owners cut it down. The house now looks bare and uninviting on the lot - a real shame.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,735 times
Thank you all for the helps! The tree is really gorgeous. the house was built in 1936 then renovated in 1960, and it's remolded in 2012. I've no idea how old is that tree. It's sad if I have to cut it off..so I may not increase my offer price anymore,although I've add 5K more than the listing price originally..seller countered an offer without a price, the highest price will win.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:30 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Not all large trees cause foundation problems. If it's an oak, it's likely ok because most oaks have long, deep tap roots that go straight down deep into the soil. Other species also have tap roots. You might want to call an arborist in to see what to do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden