Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:31 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times

Advertisements

My house is 86 years old and it has three enormous oak trees on three of its four corners that are 86 years old. Something is wrong with one of them.

There's something growing on it that looks weird and whatever this growth is, it has KILLED an enormous limb on the tree. This one limb represents about 25% of the tree's substance, and whatever it is has stripped the bark off the tree.

My OTHER tree now has a couple deep orange mushrooms growing in its crook (where the tree forks off). I suspect that mushrooms growing in a tree are bad.

Does anyone know what this might be? If this tree has to come down, it'll drastically change the look of the house. If it has to come down, it'll cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

I can't get an arborist out here until Tuesday. Any guesses what this might be?

Thanks in advance.

Rose

On the pics below, you can see the limb that's in trouble. It's obviously dead, but the bark looks like it's been stripped off. And it's a mess.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 03:14 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,383,195 times
I'm sorry Rose but I'm afraid your trees are on the way out I suspect they are hollow and have developed fungus and there is no cure. Your "tree person" may want to treat them, but I think it would be a wasted expense, IMO. I had one like that which was about the same age and about 50" diameter at the base. The limbs started dieing, so rather than the big expense of taking the whole tree down, I took off each limb as it died, then eventually had to take down the rest of the tree. That way I spread the expense out over a period of a few years rather than at one time. I really, really, hope I have misdiagnosed but I don't think so.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
There is another thread in this forum that may help you: oak tree loosing bark

Old 10-17-2010, 03:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I'll agree with Slim. Unless they came up from an acorn, they are probably much older than you think they are. If the tree is near your house, it might not take much of a wind to drop the limb on your house.

Oaks ( and I am sure other trees) that have a crotch with two or more trunks branching out like this one, usually have a great deal of rot in that area.

I feel for you. There is nothing quite like a lovely tree to set the house apart. I would miss mine.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Rosemary, the fungus is likely a symptom of something else going on with your tree. It will be important that the arborist is able to positively identify the disease in case you need to treat the remaining two visibly healthy ones to save them from a similar fate.

Good luck. I have maples with a disease that is spread through the roots and I am losing about 5-6 this year alone Sad part is the infection is in the soil and I may not be able to re-plant. My trees, like yours, are mature and a signature to my property.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:56 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
There are no words to describe what these trees mean to me, and this house, and the historic neighborhood where I live.

I'm told they were small trees, planted by William Barnes when he built this "Dream House" for his beloved wife in 1925.

He was a horticulturist and loved all things green. He thoughtfully planted one tree at each corner of the lot and the trees are now massive and we know they're at least 85 years old.

I can not imagine this house without these trees.

Here's a picture of the house, with a very old dogwood in the front yard.

Here's a picture of the THING growing in the crook of the second tree.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:14 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
What a lovely house and nice setting. As others have mentioned, I believe they're correct.
Have your soil tested when you have a tree surgeon or aborist come out and look.
If you have to have them removed and the soil is good, start your own trees and place a date on/near them for the ages to see.
Good luck.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,587 times
The fungi that you are seeing are not causing your tree to die. As stated earlier, they are symptons of other problems. In this case, I believe your tree(s) have reached the end of their useful life and are on their way out. Trees in an urban setting have a shorter life span than trees in a natural area due to stresses and unnatural conditions.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Those look like Water Oaks, which are not very long lived trees (for oaks). Those things are likely rotten to the core, or will be soon. I have several huge ones in the same condition, but luckily mine are way away from my house. Water Oak and Laurel Oak are both considered "trash trees" where I live, much like Silver Maple up north.

If you're in coastal VA, consider replacing them with Live Oak.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:01 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
If this tree has to come down, it'll drastically change the look of the house. If it has to come down, it'll cost thousands and thousands of dollars.
We had a White Alder about 11-12 yrs ago that at the time was probably around 75 years old. It had the same problems you're describing and every tree person who looked at it said it probably needed to come out. It provided a lot of shade and we hated to think about removing it. Finally when we did some work on the deck, an arborist said that at some point during a strong rain or thunderstorm, the tree would probably break and fall on the roof since the trunk was hollowing out. We had it removed. He later told us that the tree had probably been hit...someone must have backed a boat or car into it years before (4 owners of this home before us), which caused trauma to the trunk. It cost around $1,100 to pull out, grind the stump, etc. They put in two fast-growing smaller trees, would have to look up the names of them. It was so bare for a couple of years that it was hard to look at, but w/in 3-4 yrs, both grew enough to provide the same amount of shade and are now enormous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden