Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:14 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
...If you don't want to hear this advice, ignore it and keep on having a problem.
LOL - talk about ending on a negative note.
The OP wants to know what clothes to wear so he can get out there and get rid of the poison ivy without getting a rash. I believe he understands he needs to remove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:48 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - talk about ending on a negative note.
The OP wants to know what clothes to wear so he can get out there and get rid of the poison ivy without getting a rash. I believe he understands he needs to remove it.
If the OP did understand that, and how to do it, the poison ivy would have been removed long ago and the clothes would no longer be an issue.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:51 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If the OP did understand that, and how to do it, the poison ivy would have been removed long ago and the clothes would no longer be an issue.
How long has the OP lived there?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:19 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You should just check your wardrobe for long pants, shoes and sock. Is this so complicated. Wear what you have.

Or you could just buy a bottle of this stuff and wear shorts.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Bot...tag=slk03b1-20
Quote:
Is this so complicated. Wear what you have.
I don't know that I'd trust someone who isn't sure whether or not they are asking me something or telling me something.

It's not complicated, if you come and fix it. I'll even buy you the stuff you linked to.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
How humid is it where you are? If not TOO humid, soak a pair of pajamas with water. Wring out the excess water and put them on. Evaporation will cool your legs.
Pretty humid, not FL humid though but hotter.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:27 AM

I've known that I have had poison ivy for the longest, but I have had an overwhelming amount of other serious issues with the house. I also had a hard time identifying what is poison ivy and what isn't. Sure shiny and leaves of 3....but with an uneducated glance, similar plants nearby all look like poison ivy to me. I'd say that I have an area that is about 200 feet long/5 feet high/and 4 feet deep of it mostly embedded in an old wire fence.

My neighbors don't care about it at all and my other neighbors are literally cows.

Side note....I have seldom paid anyone around here to do anything and have it result in a positive outcome. Everyone has been expensive as heck, lazy, and usually never show up on time or at all.

I think that I'll check out the guys with the 800 number that was posted.

If not, I'll take the advice given here and do it myself.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:31 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol Is Texas a state full of masochists, or something? Why would anyone do that? The tough jobs like that should be done during the cooler seasons. The Mexican gardeners in New Mexico get all their work done between 6 a.m. and noon. Nobody works during the highest heat of the day, especially a project like the OP's.
Agreed. I can't stand yard work. I would spend my very last dollar hiring someone to do my yard work. Landscapers make a killing here. I hate even walking to my car in the Houston heat.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:37 AM

455 posts, read 463,462 times
My grandfather was a cotton farmer. Obviously he was out in the sun a great deal. His preferred dress was khaki work pants and a long-sleeve light colored shirt. The suggestion about going to Goodwill is a good one. Consider wearing shoe covers, I'd probably put two on each shoe. I wonder if spraying the clothes with Scotch Guard would do anything. Obviously, you'd wear gardening gloves, but my other suggestion would be to carefully remove them, then replace them with some other rubber gloves such as the kind you use to clean kitchens with. Then, while wearing those gloves, remove your clothes while standing next to either a trash can if you've finished everything in one work session, or next to the washer if you plan on keeping the clothes. Wash them in hot water with some bleach. Then I'd run the washer again with bleach in it just to make sure there was no residue left in the washer.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
The best advise I can give you and it may not be enough: wear long pants and long sleeves even though it is hot: the secret, get out in the garden before 8 or 9am. I know what you mean about the heat. Any later than early morning there is no way I will even check on the garden.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:09 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Some friends bought goats and sold them after the poison ivy was gone.

I find blocking the sun from my skin to be cooler than short sleeves. I'd wear some old clothes or get some snazzy stuff from the local thrift store. I'd wear it one time and dispose of it. I'd think washing clothes in your washing machine would probably spread the oils and allow it to get on more clothes. I don't have a huge poison ivy problem. I get a few sprigs here and there from the critters. I just use those plastic sacks from the store as a sort of glove to pull them out of the ground. I flip the bag inside out so I don't have to touch it and then tie and throw in trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden