Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 01:28 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times

Advertisements

Seedsavers. Heirloom varieties, and LOTS of varieties. When you get their catalog you won't want to put it down, it's so interesting. And since they're in Iowa they have a lot of varieties specifically for the Midwest.

Seed Savers Exchange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 04:27 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
I get my seeds from either Dollar Tree or Walmart....usually 10 packs for $1.00. Not as many seeds in the pack, as compared to big name brands, but these cheap seeds always produce well. I just buy a couple dollar's worth.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:23 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,113 times
Seed Savers Exchange seedsavers.org - Purchased from them many times. More expensive than some places but quality seeds.

Victory Seeds victoryseeds.com - Have also made several purchases from them over the years. Never a problem with their seeds.

Totally Tomatoes totallytomato.com - Have only purchased from them a couple of times. No problems to note. Enjoy looking through their new paper catalog late in the year.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds rareseeds.com - They have varieties others don't have. I have purchased from them at least three times. Like them, although some seeds had low germination rates. Due to so many hard to find varieties they are worth consideration.

mrtomatohead.biz - My new favorite due to good varieties, generous packet size (40 seeds), low prices ($1.49/packet), and free shipping for three packets or more/$.99 maximum shipping cost on less than three packets.

I've used others but these are the ones I recall off the top of my head. I've never ordered from Jung Seeds but they have items you won't find a lot of, or in some cases any of in most garden seed catalogs. Roses, etc.

If I ever have property to plant trees I'll check out Stark Brothers. I do enjoy looking through their varieties. Like trees probably more than most people.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:24 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
Gotta give a thumb's up for Johnny's Seeds. Not cheapest seeds around, but they produce extremely well. Johnny's sells to a lot of commercial growers, so they can't have seeds that don't produce, or they won't stay in business. Our cherry tomatoes, grown from seed, would not stop producing last year! OMG, I had more tomatoes than I knew what to do with. (Don't worry; we found things to do with them. LOL) My husband grows hot peppers indoors under lights, and the Johnny's seeds have created plants that just keep going and going and going....

Having said that, sometimes we buy seeds from Dollar Tree. LOL When they are on sale for 10 or 20 cents, it's fun planting them and seeing what happens. The nice thing about Dollar Tree seeds is that they are all heirloom/non-patented strains. So they have all been around for a long time.

Definitely get the Seed Savers catalog, too. What a great organization that is, and again, heirloom varieties.

Let us know next year what worked for you!

Old 12-11-2016, 08:02 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
We also use Johnny's, but also Fedco, which is here in Maine, too.

I like Stokes for certain things; Burpee's for tomatoes and peppers, and Territorial for odds and ends we can't find elsewhere.

We never buy plants or seeds from Walmart or HD or other local non-seed stores. They may usually be OK, but we heavily depend on good results. Gardening is not a hobby for us.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:11 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
OhioJB, we bought some cultivars specifically for our zone, that are related to Concord. These grapevines are doing excellent--and we got them from Stark bros. I'd never before had luck with true grapes this far down before. (muscadines-yes, true grapes-no)
If you stick to the zones Stark bros. say they will grow in, I do recommend their vines, berries, and trees.
And to Poster that says it has nothing to do with the seed as pertaining to flavor, I must disagree. Soil does play a large role, but starting with a proven disease resistant, bred for taste seed will produce a superior plant and fruits thereof. I have found Grape tomatoes to have more flavor than the others, and I have no need for beefsteak types, so Grapes are our personal choice.

For this year, I also purchased Spicy Mesclun and Boston Bibb type from Johnnys. The beds are ready, and today I will start the seeds. This is the only time of year I get to taste fresh, home grown lettuce! Yum!

Last edited by TerraDown; 12-11-2016 at 09:40 AM..

Old 12-11-2016, 08:18 AM

4,941 posts, read 3,316,689 times
I used to buy seeds at Buy Plants, Seeds, Fruit Trees & Seed Potatoes | Thompson & Morgan they have worldwide delivery. Lots of choices there.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:54 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Territorial, Baker Creek, groworganic.com

Old 12-11-2016, 11:56 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
I forgot to mention, sometimes people sell their seeds at the farmer's markets. You can tell by looking at their local produce that the seed stock made good vegetables.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:15 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We also use Johnny's, but also Fedco, which is here in Maine, too.

I like Stokes for certain things; Burpee's for tomatoes and peppers, and Territorial for odds and ends we can't find elsewhere.

We never buy plants or seeds from Walmart or HD or other local non-seed stores. They may usually be OK, but we heavily depend on good results. Gardening is not a hobby for us.
This is an important point. If you depend on the produce from your garden, then buy quality seeds accordingly. Gardening is my hobby, so if I get a lousy yield, it is disappointing, but not a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden