Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:10 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Your post reminded me of that famous book featured in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".
Sorry, that reference flew totally over my head. My wife keeps telling me I ought to watch the movie, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:42 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
OP- there is genuine wisdom and true humor to be had from your post. May it flourish .

Old 01-13-2017, 10:50 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Thanks for your kind words also, especially today.
Yes,
even with 5 fractures in my left arm, I made sure to use the weed-whacker
(as we find ourselves in a crazy world where peeps senselessly complain), instead offering to Volunteer to help...

Have a wonderful day
You have 5 fractures in your arm and you're weed whacking? Good grief! Go relax....let those bones heal.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:11 AM

678 posts, read 438,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You have 5 fractures in your arm and you're weed whacking? Good grief! Go relax....let those bones heal.
as I said in my Rep to you Thank you for your concern. -

several medical malpractice(s) caused the 1st. three wrist fractures in 9/14. Next during "closed Reduction" in the ER they fractured another bone (4th. fracture). Then the surgeon Intentionally let the healing fractures slip out of alignment, casted it screwy, & later said "Because you refused MY surgery, you will never get your wrist back, or have extension". - My response was Watch me. so I amazed two Hand+PT. therapists with my devoted persistence, until merely 4 months later I was again doing exercises in preparation... for all the gardening that became my sole responsibility on top of everything else.
Topping that,
further medical negligence caused the 5th fracture in my left shoulder in 7/15 at such an angle that surgery is not done THANK God. and Again, I amazed the 2nd surgeon with how fast my body responded, - but understandably any weed-whacking was delayed until I could again heft cement-blocks around, those weighing 1/3 my weight. - Another reason the food-Foresting has been delayed for far too many years. - Fortunately all that God asks of any of us (with whatever resources we have) is to do our own very BEST And that is just what I have done, and continue...

Enjoy your weekend

Old 01-14-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Jeez, people, I think the op posted it for a little bit of comic relief.
Some of you folks need a chill pill.
Do we have to make a big frickin' deal about EVERTHING?
Hi jamary1,
You got that right ! re "posted for a little bit of comic relief."- in fact 14 fun/fantastic folk so far on 4 pages figgered this out. Good for you!

(Who knows what sort of 'pills' the other 3 or 4 take, hopefully nothing too harmful.)

Anyway I've repped the kind folk who 'got' my gyst. Let me know if I missed anyone; & enjoy your weekend everyone !!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:54 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, lawns is what I'm discussing. Can't speak for you or anyone else.

Back to topic - so how do you feel about dandelions in lawns?
I love dandelions. They are pretty and make one feel joyous in spring, and they are edible (as are so many other 'weeds' that people like to destroy). I was so elated when I moved to this small town and found that no one sprays them and few even mow them here.

Really stark contrast to where I once lived in Texas where not only people seemed to have a fit if one dandelion showed its yellow head on the lawn but 'edging' was the main neighbourhood sport I think.

I am not sure that 'God's country' is always the right description for some of the places where people claim to live in it.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:57 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
OP, now you're being a jerk ("pills"?). I didn't think your post was funny because you used religion as a cover for posting about your preference for weeds in a lawn (BTW God didn't put dandelions in American lawns - they are European imports brought over as food).

Old 01-14-2017, 08:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
OP, now you're being a jerk ("pills"?). I didn't think your post was funny because you used religion as a cover for posting about your preference for weeds in a lawn (BTW God didn't put dandelions in American lawns - they are European imports brought over as food).
The idea of a lawn is itself a european import. Lawns were a status symbol, no one but rich people had the resources or inclination to maintain them.

This thread confirms my belief that many religious people have no sense of humor.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
The idea of a lawn is itself a european import.
Lawns were a status symbol, no one but rich people had the resources or inclination to maintain them.

This thread confirms my belief that many religious people have no sense of humor.
Agree on both counts.

Thankfully God does have a healthy sense of humor, & evident in some of us humans even. And
to think I found this God's thoughts on lawns story many years ago, no less on a lawnMowing site
lol

Old 01-14-2017, 10:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
The idea of a lawn is itself a european import. Lawns were a status symbol, no one but rich people had the resources or inclination to maintain them.
No one but the rich and people with sheep.

The idea that lawns are exclusive to the rich is a fallacy. The rich were the only people who could afford to have their lawns maintained evenly and consistently by having them manually mowed with scythes and keep their lawns devoid of sheep droppings.

The poor had lawns, too. Of course they had to move their sheep around and dodge sheep droppings, but they got meat and wool out of the bargain.

But you are right, lawns are a European import. Native grasses here in North America are unsuitable for lawns as they are clumping species, and of course the indigenous people did not have domesticated grass eaters. All of the major lawn grass species in America are of European species like bluegrass and fescue (or African in the case of Bermuda grass).

The concept of a decorative lawn with no economic or practical function is certainly an aristocratic invention, but I would argue that even the humble suburban American lawn does have a functional benefit. Essentially any cleared land around a house has an important function. It serves as a fire break, reduces the chance that a fallen tree or branches can damage the house, reduces the amount of pest animals in the immediate vicinity of the house, provides secure sightlines around the house thus discouraging prowlers, etc.

The Native Americans may not have had lawn grass, but they enabled all the above functions by reducing the area around their habitations to bare earth. In areas where grass grows well with minimal intervention or maintenance beyond mowing, I feel that grass is preferable to bare earth. Here in New Mexico, since grass is hard to grow easily, many people do go for bare earth, but many use landscaping materials such as small stone/pebbles or bark and a planting of native shrubs and clumping grasses or other drought tolerant plants.

In wetter climes, if you don't like grass, a similar effect can be had with similar materials, but I don't begrudge people for having a lawn if they are willing to do the upkeep. The worst crime is an unnecessary amount of lawn that is let to go feral. It becomes a haven for ticks and mice until it turns back into meadow and then woods.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 01-14-2017 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden