Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 11:29 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times

Advertisements

I just put my seeds in and this morning did a bottom watering, filling up the trays about 1/3 of the way. I let them sit for 30 minutes or so and the water never reached the top of the trays. Should I do a little top watering as well or just leave it be? I drained the excess water after this time from the tray bottom as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
you should have a humidity dome on these until you get to at least 50% germination.

I've found that I almost never have to add water to my moist germination mix unless they go a couple or more weeks without germination. The bottom of the dome will have condensation on it at least that long.

one problem with watering from the top, is the likelihood that you may wash the shallow planted seeds right out of the cells.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I agree you should have a humidity dome on for starters.

If the soil surface is still too dry after bottom watering you could moisten the surface by misting it with a spray bottle, enough to dampen it well but not saturate it. Misting the surface will help to cause bottom water to sponge up to the surface due to capillary action and it won't disturb the seeds.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:15 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
We took bunch of water bottles and cut them in a half across. Drilled 4mm holes in caps and capped upper halfs. Then we put lengths of yarn through the cap hole, so that it reaches down several inches. Bottom, clylindrical halfs, were filled with water and upper, conical halfs with caps and yarn, set upside down into them, so that yarn is immersed into water.
Then tops were filled with soil and seed placed into each top.
Yarn works as wick and brings water up.
They grow like on yest.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:17 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Op, I took close look at your system. Why do I have that feeling that lights are too close to topsoil and dry it out? Also, are those sun spectrum bulbs? Plants need UV.

I say try measuring soil temperature at the top. Entire set up looks like a heat retainer. Might be too much retention.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:36 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
That fibrous planting medium should have been watered and stirred until all of it was damp, before you spread it out in the trays and before you planted the seeds. If you did not do that, it might be very difficult for the top to soak up water, since it was not pre-treated like this. The best thing to do then, after planting, would be to get a spritzer bottle and spritz the top twice a day until the medium/soil "learned" to accept the water. Eventually it will allow the bottom water to wick up.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:31 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
We took bunch of water bottles and cut them in a half across. Drilled 4mm holes in caps and capped upper halfs. Then we put lengths of yarn through the cap hole, so that it reaches down several inches. Bottom, clylindrical halfs, were filled with water and upper, conical halfs with caps and yarn, set upside down into them, so that yarn is immersed into water.
Then tops were filled with soil and seed placed into each top.
Yarn works as wick and brings water up.
They grow like on yest.
Way cool idea.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times
I wetted the medium before planting the seeds. I also did a little too watering to help and covered the trays with the plastic top. Seems to be doing the trick. I already have sprouts on some plants 2 days in. Raised the lamps slightly as well because they were to close to the lids.

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden