Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:13 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

i know a good deal about the dust bowl, just not the magnitude of plowing numbers

Quote:
farmers would till/upturn their soil 12-15 times per year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 02:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

i know a good deal about the dust bowl, just not the magnitude of plowing numbers

Quote:
farmers would till/upturn their soil 12-15 times per year

I'd take that claim with a pinch of salt if I was you. My father and all of his siblings and extended family across North America were farmers during the dust bowl days, they didn't do nonsense like that.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:39 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
At the end of the day, unless the unthinkable occurs, farmers have an ever-increasing responsibility to provide food to an increasing population, one that is increasing at an alarming rate. As much as I hate to admit it, the "back in the day" farming tactics simply can't keep up with the increasing demand forever, and at some point we have no choice but to turn to science for help.

I'm no farmer. I'm married to a farmer's daughter though, a family who has farmed the same land in eastern NC since the late 1700's (yes, that includes tobacco too). But we're about as close to the farming landscape as the local farmer's market in the parking lot of Costco now. But, I do know statistics, and the numbers don't lie. While we have the luxury of stocked grocery stores every 3 miles, we're far from the norm.

I applaud the OP's post and the purpose of this thread. I openly admit that mankind is flawed by it's arrogance, and science is usually the vehicle that leads him to stupidity. Therefore, I am happy that there are those out there who are working to keep mother nature's intent intact for as long as possible. Because at the end of the day, she's been around a heck of a lot longer than us arrogant chumps, and she'll be here long after we've become toxic worm food. But until then, more food is needed throughout the world.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:39 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Roundup made it possible for conventional farmers to mimic organic practice? That makes no sense to me.

When I was young no farm ever used herbicides thus all farms were organic.
TIL,TIL,TIL

The first no-til in our area was a friend who did it and went broke in the late 60's.

Others tried it since but it required a lot of herbicides and was very difficult before RoundUp was invented.

Please inform where/when all those no til ORGANIC farmers were that the conventional farmers copied ?

Old 05-03-2017, 05:25 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
When I was young no farm ever used herbicides thus all farms were organic.
Certified Organic was originated in 1970.

Quote:
... Others tried it since but it required a lot of herbicides and was very difficult before RoundUp was invented.
I remember using Paraquat as a teenager. I know there were others, that is the only name that stuck with me, our county Ag agent was very insistent that we be careful with it.

Quote:
... Please inform where/when all those no til ORGANIC farmers were that the conventional farmers copied ?
A previous poster said that organic no-till was only made possible by roundup ready crops.

Which is why I said it makes no sense to me. Organic practice IS NOT possible only because of roundup.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
reducing tillage was only made possible by roundup ready crops. that was the point.
I don't see where " organic" is even mentioned in this post, Submariner

Old 05-03-2017, 05:48 PM

My bad, I read 'reducing tillage' and my mind went immediately to no-till.

Okay what is the distinction between reducing tillage and no-till practice?

Old 05-03-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My bad, I read 'reducing tillage' and my mind went immediately to no-till.

Okay what is the distinction between reducing tillage and no-till practice?
The best examples is how farmers near me dealt with last years corn fields going into this year soybeans

No til......soybeans are planted directly into the soil between the rows of last year's stalks

reduced.......field is gone over with an implement that has a row of notched disc blades and tillage shanks.

possibly harrowed for leveling then beans planted

old way..........corn field moldboard plowed, disked, harrowed , then beans planted

The best example of no til is CRP grass converting back to crops and leaving the program.

Sprayed with RoundUp to kill all grass, then a notil planter plants soybeans directly into the sod.

A neighbor said he tried doing it with corn, but soybeans worked better for the 1st year and soybeans loosens the soil making corn planting easier for the 2nd year.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM

A good example of reduced tillage is a soybean field going into corn the next year.

A neighbor said he doesn't even chisel plow his soybean stubble.

He just makes a pass with a field cultivator and then plants corn.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:36 PM

Are you familiar with Masanobu Fukuoka?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden