Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:40 PM

749 posts, read 735,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i know a good deal about the dust bowl, just not the magnitude of plowing numbers
That certainly wasn't all plowing. But moldboard plowing played a major roll.

Now most farmers will chisel plow, if anything. But probably not every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'd take that claim with a pinch of salt if I was you. My father and all of his siblings and extended family across North America were farmers during the dust bowl days, they didn't do nonsense like that.
If you knew what they were actually doing, you would not make that claim.

Unless they raised NO row-crop commodities, they did exactly what I said.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A good example of reduced tillage is a soybean field going into corn the next year.

A neighbor said he doesn't even chisel plow his soybean stubble.

He just makes a pass with a field cultivator and then plants corn.
The thing I've observed over the years is that there's no point in even trying to explain this stuff to city slickers. They don't understand it, so they just assume it's false.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM

656 posts, read 1,208,362 times
Quote:
This retired farmer thanks Monsanto for RoundUp and the RoundUp ready crops that can be grown.

Great yields, less expense = better profits.

Thank you, Monsanto
Profit is what everyone thinks! money is the goal! Just short term goal! in Long term, we are poisoning our soil and vegetable we grow, killing bees, microorganisms etc...SAD!

Old 05-05-2017, 08:41 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Farmers and peasants were/are as destructive and greedy as monsanto, luckily they had less destructive tools to work with before Monsantos entered the scene. I hate to see agricultural areas, they are virtually sterile, devoid of life, everything is poisoned and killed off except lawn grass, corn and a few trees. Farmers seemingly derive perveted pleasures from the sterilized surrounding. The danger of monopolized greed of Monsanto etc. vs distributed greed of the past is self-evident. A few corporate monsters substituted hundreds of thousands if not millions of planters, seed savers. But as long as the masses have their frankenstein burgers on chemical buns allowing Monsanto and farmers to squeeze a buck from the dying soils - nothing really matters. I think civilization of hairless apes is doomed. We didnt overcome our limited hierarchical nature we just developed more deadly tools to act upon it.

Last edited by RememberMee; 05-05-2017 at 08:52 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 09:51 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Farmers and peasants were/are as destructive and greedy as monsanto, luckily they had less destructive tools to work with before Monsantos entered the scene. I hate to see agricultural areas, they are virtually sterile, devoid of life, everything is poisoned and killed off except lawn grass, corn and a few trees. Farmers seemingly derive perveted pleasures from the sterilized surrounding. The danger of monopolized greed of Monsanto etc. vs distributed greed of the past is self-evident. A few corporate monsters substituted hundreds of thousands if not millions of planters, seed savers. But as long as the masses have their frankenstein burgers on chemical buns allowing Monsanto and farmers to squeeze a buck from the dying soils - nothing really matters. I think civilization of hairless apes is doomed. We didnt overcome our limited hierarchical nature we just developed more deadly tools to act upon it.
......"devoid of life"...
......" dying soils"..

Get educated before you speak !

RoundUp is a contact herbicide and only kills the plants it comes in contact with.

Weeds that haven't emerged will see no effect from RoundUp as they grow in those "dying soils"

Old 05-07-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
......"devoid of life"...
......" dying soils"..

Get educated before you speak !

RoundUp is a contact herbicide and only kills the plants it comes in contact with.

Weeds that haven't emerged will see no effect from RoundUp as they grow in those "dying soils"
How many decades has it been since we started hearing about how "modern" farmers are destroying the soil?

You'd think that the soil would be completely destroyed by now. But it's not. In fact, in most agricultural areas, the soil is now better than it has been in decades - perhaps ever.

I too wish these city slickers were get educated before they get mouthy.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:25 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Here is an interesting article I saw today.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/monsant...papers/5588396

“Monsanto even started the aptly-named ‘Let Nothing Go’ program to leave nothing, not even Facebook comments, unanswered; through a series of third parties, it employs individuals who appear to have no connection to the industry, who in turn post positive comments on news articles and Facebook posts, defending Monsanto, its chemicals, and GMOs,” the document reads.

“quietly funnels money to ‘think tanks’ such as the ‘Genetic Literacy Project’ and the ‘American Council on Science and Health”– organizations intended to shame scientists and highlight information helpful to Monsanto and other chemical producers,” according to the plaintiffs.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:06 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Here is an interesting article I saw today.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/monsant...papers/5588396

“Monsanto even started the aptly-named ‘Let Nothing Go’ program to leave nothing, not even Facebook comments, unanswered; through a series of third parties, it employs individuals who appear to have no connection to the industry, who in turn post positive comments on news articles and Facebook posts, defending Monsanto, its chemicals, and GMOs,” the document reads.

“quietly funnels money to ‘think tanks’ such as the ‘Genetic Literacy Project’ and the ‘American Council on Science and Health”– organizations intended to shame scientists and highlight information helpful to Monsanto and other chemical producers,” according to the plaintiffs.

I am in no way associated or paid by Monsanto.
I have farmed all my life ( retired now) and someone has to counter the BS spewed by Monsanto haters, McDonalds haters, and Walmart haters.

I have known many organic " blow hards" in my life and some of the nonsense spewed by them should never go unchallenged.

I have met .....one... organic dairy farmerwho I respected and made sense.
He didn't take his organic farming like a religion .

I attended many pasture walks to see if I could learn something since I rotationally grazed cows.
Most of those guys in big floppy hats, pot bellies, and bib overalls spewed such ridiculous nonsense it was unreal

( and most of those with a finger in the air proclaiming they were " organic, organic" went broke within a couple years of trying to pass on their " knowledge "

Old 05-08-2017, 09:54 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
invariably, those who dare to disagree with the anti-GMO types encounters insistence that they MUST be paid shills for Monsanto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden