Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:19 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,586 times

Advertisements

For years, I have been in love with Phlox. But, some get Mildew, and it makes the plant unattractive. But there has been new research into this plant.

However, now they grow them shorter, and Mildew resistant. A little expensive thought, like $15 to $18 per plant. So, I send for 6 roots that I planted on April 9th, in Miracle-Gro Potting Soil. The photos show them to be gorgeous.

I am waiting and waiting patiently to see some life, however, nothing yet. I am getting anxious. May 9th will give them one month in the ground. Has anyone here ever had any experience with Phlox roots? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 07:31 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
"Has anyone here ever had any experience with Phlox roots"? Creeping Phlox ?

I bought 4 flats that had been thinned out from another garden...transplanted them immediately into good soil with ample water, and they look terrible. But, I know the roots were disturbed, which shocked the plants...they are now getting acclimatized to a new spot....putting down roots for a showy next spring. Be patient.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-03-2017, 11:33 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post

........I send for 6 roots that I planted on April 9th, in Miracle-Gro Potting Soil.......

Can you describe the manner in which you planted them when you received them? Dry out of the package or soaked for 24 hours? Bunched or spread out over a mound before burial? Crown exposed or covered?

Old 05-03-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Can you describe the manner in which you planted them when you received them? Dry out of the package or soaked for 24 hours? Bunched or spread out over a mound before burial? Crown exposed or covered?

I placed them in water for about 12 hours, as stated by the company I bought them from, then I spread out the roots, with the soil up to a piece of the plant, I followed the directions, as given...........they have been on the ground for three weeks.......how long should I wait before calling the company I bought them from? Or should I try to replant them again? Maybe I was sent roots from three years' ago......

Old 05-03-2017, 02:20 PM

Well you planted them properly. I'd say give them another 3 weeks. Water, but don't give them too much water now. If nothing shows in another 3 weeks then dig them up (carefully) to see if there's any growth happening below soil level - or if the roots have rotted. If there's some growth happening then cover them up again. If no activity is happening or if they're clearly dead then report it to the company you got them from and ask for replacements.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well you planted them properly. I'd say give them another 3 weeks. Water, but don't give them too much water now. If nothing shows in another 3 weeks then dig them up (carefully) to see if there's any growth happening below soil level - or if the roots have rotted. If there's some growth happening then cover them up again. If no activity is happening or if they're clearly dead then report it to the company you got them from and ask for replacements.

In your opinion, how long should it take for a root to show life.......thank you, Zoisite.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:21 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,262,034 times
I love phlox, and don't even mind the mildew, because they come back faithfully every year, smell heavenly and butterflies adore the flowers. It is quite a show in the summer! I buy plants (bought a bunch from Select Seeds) because I have had zero luck trying to grow them from bare roots. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:19 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times
I love Garden Phlox. Creeping Phlox, not so much. It's wonderful when it blooms, but it lasts but a week or so, then it's nothing but ground cover.

But Garden Phlox blooms and reblooms, then reblooms a couple more times. I love it. But lately, I haven't had much luck with it. It blooms sparsely and doesn't spread at all. Where I used to live, I had pink phlox that reproduced like crazy and bloomed on and off all summer.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
In your opinion, how long should it take for a root to show life.......thank you, Zoisite.

Depending on the type of plant and soil temperatures in could take 4 to 8 weeks. Roots are dry and dormant when you get them. One of the reasons for soaking them prior to planting is to help hydrate them and promote them to come out of dormancy, to give them a nudge to start to wake up. So depending on the kind of plant, and the temperature of the soil the roots are planted in (ideally it should be between 48-55º F for the first 3 weeks after planting), it may take 2 to 4 weeks after planting for them to fully come out of dormancy before they can start growth activity. Then it could be another 2 to 4 weeks after that before you see signs of growth, at which time the temperature of the soil in your location should have reached above 55º F.

So watch yours for another 3 weeks, by then 6 weeks will have gone by since you planted them and if your roots are alive, awake and healthy you should be seeing some growth happening. If after 6 weeks you don't see growth and you go to dig them up to check them, remove the soil from around them very gently so you don't damage them in the event that there is new growth just starting.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-04-2017 at 12:39 AM..

Old 05-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Default Zoisite

No more roots for me..........they are heartbreaking.........from now on, I will be happy to buy the whole plant, at least I see it in front of my eyes.........roots are coming into fashion now, because they are less expensive to ship..........so, Bluestone Perennials,....here I come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden