Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My wife and I moved to Greenville, SC two years ago, and absolutely love it; with one exception, Bermuda grass. Almost all of the developments in the south east are sodded with it, and I can't stand the stuff. When it goes dormant, it turns to this ugly straw like consistency and looks horrible for 4 months.

I lived in NJ and California for most of my life and really like fescue and was wondering if I could rip up my bermuda sod and plant fescue. greenville is a bit more temperate then the rest of the state and I live close to the Blue Ridge Mnts. We have a really big tree in our front yard, and I planted some other trees that will grow tall to provide more shade. So my question is, can we do it, and if so, how? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
my guess is you probably can, but youll have to water it a lot. im in a transition zone here in kentucky, some lawns have bermuda grass, and some have fescue. the fescue seems to turn brown a lot quicker when we are in droughts, probably because it is a more cool climate grass.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Yes you can grow fescue in South Carolina. Some of my neighbors have them. While they don't brown during the fall through winter, they are less drought tolerant than bermuda and are weed prone. If we have another drought situation and have the same water restrictions we had last year, your fescue would be brown during the summer while the rest of your neighbor's bermuda will still be green.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Yes you can grow fescue in South Carolina. Some of my neighbors have them. While they don't brown during the fall through winter, they are less drought tolerant than bermuda and are weed prone. If we have another drought situation and have the same water restrictions we had last year, your fescue would be brown during the summer while the rest of your neighbor's bermuda will still be green.
Exactly. We have fescue at our rental house here in Greenville. It's full of weeds and turned brown last july and august while our neighbors had lush green lawns. Sure, theirs' are brown now, but to me there is nothing more depressing (and dusty) than a brown lawn in the summer. This is also when the weeds really took over. The landlord spends a fortune on this lawn, but it seems like a big waste to me.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:58 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
I can't speak of fescue in SC but I do have it here in Va Beach and last summer it died out a lot despite all of my watering efforts. We did have a drought but only moderate compared to those in NC and perhaps SC. I am hoping it was due to being newly established and so this past fall I planted some more. It has really done well and has spread quite nicely and yes is somewhat green although there is quite a bit of brown (I am supposing it to be dead weeds). My neighbor on the other hand planted fescue in the fall also and he has the most beautiful green lawn even now.

Last edited by citydweller; 02-08-2009 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: add comment

Old 02-09-2009, 03:29 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Just thought I should add that there is fescue around the library and museum downtown (Greenville) and it looks really good. There is, however, a team of people and a city budget that takes care of it. Lawn in general is a big time, money and resource pit, imo. That's why in our previous home we replaced most of our lawn with planting beds. It's more money up front, but a lot less maintenance, hassle and money down the road. Plus it saves water.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I have a yard full of kentucky blue grass that I love. It's think and lush and makes a beautiful yard. The drawback is it grows fast.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I have a yard full of kentucky blue grass that I love. It's think and lush and makes a beautiful yard. The drawback is it grows fast.
that is one of the few things i hate about bluegrass, you have to water it a lot to keep it green, and then you have to cut it all the time. last summer i was cutting it 2 times a week in June/July, then i just stopped trying to keep it green and let it burn out the rest of the summer, i think i only cut it 2 or 3 times from september to november.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 PM

70 posts, read 174,491 times
Does anyone know what kind of grass is most popular in Orlando, Florida. My husband, daughter and I were there over Thanksgiving and all of the grass around International Drive was green and lush. It's hotter in Fl, then SC, so maybe it wasn't fescue. Is there a grass that will stay green year round and grow in the Greenville area, that won't cost a ton of money to water? I hate bermuda when it turns like hay for 5 months.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
You should be able to use St Augustine grass in SC, that's what most people here on the gulf coast use. It turns brown during the winter, but you can use annual rye grass if you want green during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden