Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:24 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,330,246 times

Advertisements

Where can I have some oranges tested to be sure that they are not being contaminated from septic leach lines? My Sis n Law brought this up today, don't you just love them.

They sure do taste good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times
Can that really reach the fruit of trees? It's not like a direct line of moisture from root to plant. The plants take nutrients from soil and convert it. I would be more concerned about chemicals but not sewage... But maybe someone else can offer more insight.

You can put manure in farm field for nutrients for plants. As long as manure isn't directly on food it's safe. How do I know this, my mom grew up on a farm and that was what they did. They used to spread manure on fields, still do. Lately I've noticed the farmers are liquefying it and spaying it on field. Saw this done last summer when I noticed a big tank truck spraying on soon to be planted field, it sure stinks much much more than just spreading manure.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 02-15-2018 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 03:50 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
LOL! Send them to me. (You just discovered a way to keep people from taking your fruit.)

If you pee on your spinach, you might have a problem. Your oranges are safe.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:03 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,508,782 times
The only contamination you could possibly get from septic lines is heavy metals, and I doubt your effluent is loaded with that.

Plants absorb stuff from the soil in solution form, meaning stuff is dissolved in liquid. Plants even have cellular barriers to bigger molecules that might be in the solution. Since plant roots live in ground teeming with bacteria, viruses, and fungi, they have very good defenses.

Not to worry....

Old 02-16-2018, 08:33 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times
When you hear on the news about e. coli contaminated lettuce, spinage, celery it's because feces (e coli can be present in a lot of animals and human feces, yeah, yuk) somehow got on the leaves and not washed off, especially foods you don't typically cook or peel. Cooking kills any e. coli bacteria. Since e. Coli bacteria is more likely to be on stuff that is grown on the ground (unlike apples and oranges) it's less likely to be contaminated, but then there are those darn birds that sit in trees and do their business. So always wash all fruits and veggies.

I even wash all melons with a bit of soap and scrub a bit since they sit on the ground. My sister thinks she got sick from eating a melon she didn't wash. When you cut through the outside skin you can drag contaminates onto the inside.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:49 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,330,246 times
Thanks everyone I'll keep eating them.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:17 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! Send them to me. (You just discovered a way to keep people from taking your fruit.)

If you pee on your spinach, you might have a problem. Your oranges are safe.
Depending the PH of your pee and that depends on how much beer you have had

But that’s one way stopping deer from eating your spinach...

Old 02-16-2018, 01:03 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,963 times
When I have questions like this I get in touch with my local agriculture extension agent.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:33 PM

37,473 posts, read 61,423,512 times
If you were looking at root crops growing in effluent, I might be concerned. But that is not what you are discussing. Don't worry about it.

I know a lot of people who grow crops using night soil, it is common.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:33 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
When you hear on the news about e. coli contaminated lettuce, spinage, celery it's because feces (e coli can be present in a lot of animals and human feces, yeah, yuk) somehow got on the leaves and not washed off, especially foods you don't typically cook or peel. Cooking kills any e. coli bacteria. Since e. Coli bacteria is more likely to be on stuff that is grown on the ground (unlike apples and oranges) it's less likely to be contaminated, but then there are those darn birds that sit in trees and do their business. So always wash all fruits and veggies.

I even wash all melons with a bit of soap and scrub a bit since they sit on the ground. My sister thinks she got sick from eating a melon she didn't wash. When you cut through the outside skin you can drag contaminates onto the inside.

After washing, I spray a fine mist of distilled white vinegar (which contains acetic acid) on all the fresh fruits and vegetables I eat, that aren't cooked. If they can't be disinfected in this way, I don't eat them. I've given up Romaine lettuce and alfalfa sprouts, for examples.

The vinegar spray is very effective against most pathogens. It also cured my athlete's foot, after a lifetime infestation of it. I sprayed my toes, top and bottom, twice a day for 3 days and I only have to do this once a year, to avoid a recurrence. However, it will not kill eggs from parasites, such as intestinal worms. They have acid-resistant coatings, to be able to survive in a host's stomach.

Heinz sells a stronger, cleaning-strength vinegar, with a 6% solution, compared to the standard 5% solution. The Walmart is the only store where I can find it, in my area. No more expensive and toxic disinfectant sprays at my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden