Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,459 times

Advertisements

Overwatering maybe hurting my indoor houseplants. However, I'm yet to figure out the balance between over-watering and under-watering. I follow the general finger rule and if it feels dry, I water it once in 2 weeks or every week. I feel I either get plants too much water or they get too dry. Not able to get it perfect. What practical tips you all may have on solving for watering balance? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Self watering planters.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
As a general rule, watering plants once a week should strike a good balance. During winter that should drop drastically. The kinds of houseplants matters. One size does fit most, but not all.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansoo View Post
Overwatering maybe hurting my indoor houseplants. However, I'm yet to figure out the balance between over-watering and under-watering. I follow the general finger rule and if it feels dry, I water it once in 2 weeks or every week. I feel I either get plants too much water or they get too dry. Not able to get it perfect. What practical tips you all may have on solving for watering balance? Thanks
OP pick up one of these, solves your problem, costs very little, saves your plants. Under $10.00

Measures moisture. Prevents over-watering. For indoor/outdoor use. Prevents over-watering.

Available at most Garden Centers, Hardware stores, online.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,459 times
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I do have a moisture meter. How deep I should let the moisture meter put in the pot. It's usually dry in the top 4-5 inches, but then wet on the right side of scale deeper. Any thoughts?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I do have a moisture meter. How deep I should let the moisture meter put in the pot. It's usually dry in the top 4-5 inches, but then wet on the right side of scale deeper. Any thoughts?
How big are these pots?! The usual directions are to put the tip of the probe in the center of the pot. You should, however, try to get a feel for the rythmn of drying so you are not sticking the probe into the roots every few days forever. Really big pots dry out very slowly unless they have really big plants in them.

Where the plants are placed matters a lot. Even in sunny areas some people manage to over-water houseplants because they plants don't get enough sun. If your houseplants are not getting a couple to a few hours of actual SUN daily, not just light, but actual sunshine, hitting the leaves directly or through a thin curtain, then the plants are light deprived by definition and will not use (or need) as much water.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
That sounds like you might not have enough organic matter in the soil to properly wick moisture into the top layers or hold it there.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
As a rule of thumb you should check the soil at different locations around the plant in the pot. Try to think of north, south, east west locations, 1/2 way between pot edge and main stem of the plant. Put the probe into the soil as far as it will go taking readings as it goes deeper into the soil. The deeper you go naturally will be wetter than at the surface level.
Depending on your plants requirements it will depend on if you should water thoroughly and let dry down before re-watering or if your plant requires frequent watering. Soil mixture determines how even and how much the watering will be held throughout the pot.
Pot types depend on water requirements too. Clay pots dissipate water faster than ceramic, plastic or wooden pots. You mention 4-5 inches down but didn't mention pot size. 4-5 inches down in a deep pot such as a 18 inch deep pot for example is not something to worry about.
It's always better to underwater a bit than to over water and get root rot. Watch to see if the plant starts wilting and you put the probe in and it's very wet, then you've overwatered, if it's showing dry then you need to add water.
Remember as the soil starts to dry down some it's also pulling in some oxygen that the plant requires. Overwatering chokes out the oxygen and over time can kill it.
Hopefully I'm trying not to get over detailed to confuse you but give you some basics to aid you.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:51 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
You might want to try some water wicks. I'm planning on getting some of these for my house plants:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002558KJQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It's a ceramic spike that's attached to a tube, that you put into a jar of water that is lower than the plant. You wet the ceramic cone and put it into the planter, and the plant will suck the water it needs via capillary action. Then, it's basically up to the plant to use as much water as it needs.

If your soil is getting dry down 4 inches, that's probably too dry.

Oh, and it shouldn't be sitting in water in a dish. So, if the planter is in a dish that holds water after you water it, that will keep the roots too wet.

Another alternative, is to leave it in the dish, then only water in the dish, and let the plant suck up the water from the dish. Then, you need to pay attention to whether that's working or not - are the roots deep enough to suck up the water, etc., and make sure it doesn't stay too wet after it drinks, etc.

This is why I'm going to get some of those hydrospikes. Takes the guess work out of it. You just need to be sure the ceramic cone doesn't dry out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden