Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 11:58 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times

Advertisements

I have a large, well-established climbing rose in a ridiculous location, meaning smack up against the foundation, in a corner where it meets the concrete front porch, and behind a holly tree. The holly is too close to the porch, too, but also pretty well established, if poorly pruned (I'm working on this), so of the two, the rosebush is the one that has to move. I don't know how I can get in that tight corner behind all those thorns to get the bush out without harming both plants' roots, so I'm wondering about cutting off some canes and seeing if I can root them where I want them and provide them with a trellis to climb? (There's a prickly pear cactus in there, too, but I don't expect that to have a big root structure to contend with.)

I have the beginnings of a rose garden just around the other side of the house, and plenty of room for a climber, so any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. Can you root rose canes? I think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 01:31 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
sure you can just google rooting roses from cuttings and you should get quite a few solutions . good luck .

Old 07-20-2018, 03:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times
First, I would not move it in the summer, wait until fall when much cooler, this would be best. Cut it back as much as you dare. To not get too badly scratch tie it up some with some twine and wrap in several layers of news paper and tape up, heavy paper, or something that won't catch on thorns. Water several days before to get soil moisture, that will be easier to dig out and around. Dig around at least 12" all around, so total across about 24", or so, depends on how big plant is, could be less. I use a garden shovel and shove it, step on it as deep as it will go. You will probably be cutting some roots, use a sharp plant trimmer to cut as you go. If it too heavy to lift put on plastic tarp and drag it to where you want it. Then baby it for a while .

If moved well established bushes this way several times. Not roses but probably same process.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Summer is probably the worst time to transplant roses, depends on where you are located. But if you have too the above info by Izzie is good. I would cut the roses back to 12-16 inches, dig as large a rootball as you can, trim off any broken or damaged roots, plant in a well prepared hole and water in thoroughly. Keep moist but not soaking wet. The earlier in the am the better to move it. You should see new shoots within a week or so.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:11 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
i have moved many climbing roses, several of them fairly large. Trying to get a cutting started is fairly difficult and I've failed at that many times. If you like the rose enough to make the effort then try moving it.

As suggested July is not the best time but I live in Florida and it's July here about 10 months of the year and I have never lost a rose yet.

First dig straight down about 12 inches on all sides, a 24 inch diameter in other words. Do Not dig up the rose yet, just water it well, do not fertilize. You are cutting roots and preparing the rose to be moved. Then in a couple weeks finish digging it up and at the same time cut back all the branches to half their length. The cut roots will not be able to keep all the canes alive and by cutting the canes back you are giving the roots less work.

Then put it in a large container (big enough for all the roots and extra potting mix) and put it in a shady place for 2 months. This allows the rose to stabilize. If the place you are going to plant it is shady you could possibly just move it there immediately but I have best results by keeping it in a large pot in the shade. Again do not fertilize but water whenever it's dry.

I love roses and hate to throw any away. I also hate plants planted too close to the house and cut those down ruthlessly. People always plant "foundation" plants too close. I like plants far away from the foundation.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden