Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 07:08 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,107 times

Advertisements

We, here in the North East, Zone 7, have had the HOTTEST, and WETTEST summer ever.......We were out- of- the-state, until April, and came in to rain that lasted until the end of May, then the heat started, and it has been relentless. Today, the temperature is right now, 77 degrees, and it is almost 8 P.M.

From June to about three days' ago, the temperatures have been in the 90's with horrendous humidity......I have heard of climate change, but up to about three years' ago, the most we had temperatures of 90"s plus was for about three times per month.........and there is no place to run.....

Practically every plant in my garden that is susceptible to Powdery Mildew has it......there is no place to hide. I usually get it in one or three plants...........now is rampant......... I have tried four of the organic methods to no avail.

Any advice? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Have you tried Dr Bronner's Peppermint spray? I've used in the past with pretty good success, as long as the PM isn't too advanced.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:15 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Use a fungicide made to treat powdery mildew.

Be sure to prune the infected plants and throw away (not compost) the infected parts before you treat.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
What were the four organic methods that you have already tried? Did you try garlic spray yet? If not, you can make your own very easily. This link has basically the same recipe that I use when I make mine --> https://www.growingformarket.com/art...ldew-solutions

Garlic spray works well as a preventative on new growth, but not as a cure for leaves and stems that are already infected. Infected leaves and stems have to be removed, and as Reactionary said above, don't compost them, put them in the trash or burn them. There's some other helpful tips and information about other remedies for powdery mildew at that link too, as well as information about the types of powdery mildew.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-27-2018 at 07:45 PM..

Old 09-28-2018, 05:49 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post

Be sure to prune the infected plants and throw away (not compost) the infected parts before you treat.
^^^This and just as important, but often forgotten, wash the garden tools with bleach or alcohol and let dry in the sun.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:30 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have a sink or swim garden. I use some fungicides and insecticides but for the most part, my plants need to acclimate or buh bye.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Have you tried Dr Bronner's Peppermint spray? I've used in the past with pretty good success, as long as the PM isn't too advanced.
No, I have not tried it. My PM is advanced in most of my plants......Thank you,

Old 09-30-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post

I used Serenade, and Daconil.........zilch....However, Daconil has a concentrated one, and is more expensive, but I purchased the regular one......Serenade was a joke.....

Old 09-30-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What were the four organic methods that you have already tried? Did you try garlic spray yet? If not, you can make your own very easily. This link has basically the same recipe that I use when I make mine --> https://www.growingformarket.com/art...ldew-solutions

Garlic spray works well as a preventative on new growth, but not as a cure for leaves and stems that are already infected. Infected leaves and stems have to be removed, and as Reactionary said above, don't compost them, put them in the trash or burn them. There's some other helpful tips and information about other remedies for powdery mildew at that link too, as well as information about the types of powdery mildew.

I have tried the oil, with baking soda.... and other organic ones that I cannot remember right now, but I will try everything that is recommended. I have had it in the past, never went away, but I have noticed that in previous years, when I sprayed a lot, the next year it did not come back as much. In those occasions, I tried Maneb and Captan, from Jung Seed. This year, I did not used these because I wanted to see, if the organics will work.....nothing.....nada....zilch....

PHLOX PANICULATA, is one of my favorite flowers, the other one is Dahlias.......I will continue to grow Phlox.
Nothing can beat these, for beauty, fragance, and the length of time they flower.......even with the P/M on them.

Now P/P are coming in, shorter, and with less tendency for P/W......love them..... they are gaining lots of attention, from corporations. Maybe a cure is in the making. Thank you, everyone, greatly appreciated....

Old 09-30-2018, 06:53 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
sasie - I've had good results with Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract (from Big Orange). I use their Insecticidal Soap for some insects (sucking insects are the biggest problem in my area. Plus, it says safe for organic gardening (however I don't really care as I use them on ornamentals).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden