Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:40 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times

Advertisements

In my new place, I had to plow over years of established pasture for my veggie garden. I've had terrible results with carrots for the past two seasons and came across this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O1nLgT1s1Q

The guy also started a new plot in what had been grass. He thinks the problem is that the turned over turf hasn't had time to decompose and presents a barrier to the carrots' tap roots. He also has a problem with bifurcating roots like I do and thinks it's due to the growing root encountering a rock or a lump of manure not deteriorated enough and representing too much N- no need to grow deeper & bigger. I till in copious horse manure- not all of it completely composted just yet.

Any thoughts, experiences or tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I've grown carrots and other root vegetables in raised beds....you have control of depth, what type soil, easier to till or turn by hand, easier to harvest....

Old 02-05-2019, 10:48 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Guido, you could try growing Daikon radishes there for a season or two then switch over to carrots. Daikons are notable for breaking up and conditioning the soil to the required depth and softer, more crumbly consistency to make it more suitable for carrots to penetrate down into the soil.

PS - I didn't like the looks of his soil. Way too hard and clumpy, too much compacted clay, not enough sand, not black enough colour to it.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-05-2019 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 01:35 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I grow carrots in a raised bed filled with sand. That works.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:28 PM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Thanks for the replies....I don't think I can build a raised bed big enough to fit my tractor.

I've got great soil-- bottom land with high water table-- garden hardly needs any tending and no watering in this location. Potatoes, peas, beans, peppers, tomatoes, onions & sweet corn all do well.

I have a cold frame (on higher ground) that I get an early jump on things. Radishes and lettuce do quite well-- but even there the carrots grows poorly. I've used both saved seeds from good years at another location and newly purchased seeds-- same lousy result. …

I'm thinking maybe that horse manure is too strong. A tap root is intended to go deep, and with so much N, it doesn't have to. (??)

Old 02-05-2019, 03:38 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
I would think that a soil with very high organic matter would be best. For example an old turf farm which had been cultivated for years with green manure tilled in every spring. Mid west soils would be good too. And like one person above said, an artificial soil with a lot of sand or even a sandy soil as long as you could water it. That said, pH must also play a role and I would guess they would prefer slightly acidic soils, mainly because you don't see a lot of production for carrots in the desert.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:47 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
I grow carrots in deep sandy soil without much problem, only soil amendment is leaf mold added every year. They don't bifurcate in sandy soil.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:34 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
In my new place, I had to plow over years of established pasture for my veggie garden. I've had terrible results with carrots for the past two seasons and came across this video

The guy also started a new plot in what had been grass. He thinks the problem is that the turned over turf hasn't had time to decompose and presents a barrier to the carrots' tap roots. He also has a problem with bifurcating roots like I do and thinks it's due to the growing root encountering a rock or a lump of manure not deteriorated enough and representing too much N- no need to grow deeper & bigger. I till in copious horse manure- not all of it completely composted just yet.

We used to grow carrots and parsnips, and used this trick: For each plant, with a crowbar, create a hole in your soil approximately the size of a fullgrown carrot and fill it with sand. Plant a couple seeds in each sand-filled hole and thin the weaker seedlings. It really worked.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:10 PM

50 posts, read 54,341 times
I have a few "raised beds" (AKA redneck beds, AKA old tires) full of permanent things like asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, specific herbs, and one for carrots.(Every tire has a different plant) It's a HUGE (15" deep) old muddin' tire and I filled it with a mix of sand, soil, peat, pebbles, vermiculite, and compost. Have no troubles growing carrots long and straight in it.

Maybe a raised bed, or a super deep tiller would help.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Only use gardening information from a reputable source- websites which ends with.edu

Test the pH of your soil- use your local University Extension-$10-15.
Sometimes Master Gardeners can test for free. Add limestone as recommended. May take a couple of years of repeated applications. ( Preferably do not use dolomitic lime)

If you live in the West, SW- still test your soil, but check for salts - EC test as well. You may need gypsum
In short: read this( will explain why the guy in a video failed)

https://ag.umass.edu/home-lawn-garde...s-growing-tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden