Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 04:58 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Do a search on those. There are sites dedicated to tweaking and improving those Harbor Freight greenhouses. Not too hard. If my memory is correct, there are better clips out there to get. Once done, it is not a bad greenhouse.
Yes, i am aware. The first easiest thing was to add clips extra.

Since its been sitting for 2 years i still dont know if im even gonna put it up, even if i had the help.

Ugh.

Had lofty ideas for it, don't know now.

Thanks though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 08:42 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
It says "2 days", that doesn't mean the whole 24 hours, maybe 8 hours one day, 8 hours the next.
Getting 3 people together is another matter,

do the math, genius … per your observation of 3 people working "maybe 8 hours one day, 8 hours the next." ….

3 people x 8 hours = 24 man-hours of work in the first day

2 days of 24 man-hours = 48 man-hours of work. Which is what the poster advised was required to build the structure per the manufacturer. That's a lot of man-hours of work for such a small greenhouse structure.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-02-2019 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-02-2019, 12:16 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
I'm thinking of ordering this. I need something easy to put together as I'll be doing it alone or with my brother. Neither of us are very handy, LOL!

https://www.amazon.com/Outsunny-Port...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 03-02-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I'm thinking of ordering this. I need something easy to put together as I'll be doing it alone or with my brother. Neither of us are very handy, LOL!

https://www.amazon.com/Outsunny-Port...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It may be easy to put together, but isnt very sturdy and in wind, will topple unless secured to the ground well.

I had something like that but the wind knocked it over an ripped it to shreds one day, and it wasnt even that windy....
And it was tied down with ratchet straps!

Old 03-02-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
do the math, genius … per your observation of 3 people working "maybe 8 hours one day, 8 hours the next." ….

2 days of 24 man-hours = 48 man-hours of work. Which is what the poster advised was required to build the structure per the manufacturer. That's a lot of man-hours of work for such a small greenhouse structure.
Hey genius i read it as "48 hours from start to finish construction time".

I dont think in "man hours", what ever time passage is necessary is how i think. As do others who are not engineers.

That is how i read it. If youd have *thought* for a moment you might have realized that , just as had i read it correctly I might have have realized what was trying to be said. I was tired when i read what i thought i saw.

Im SOOOOO glad you are *perfect*.

I read a quote the other day, YOU might think on:

" You can admonish me when you are perfect yourself"

Second, im just repeating what the instructions say. It may not take any tine at all to erect, and may only require 2 people. They may stretch it a bit.
Im hoping two people can do it, regardless of one, two, three days...

Old 03-02-2019, 04:03 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

Wow, you are just mean! He wasn't talking about man-hours. He was talking about REAL hours.

Get over yourself.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:07 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
I would love to have a greenhouse, but every time I look into it, it seems the only viable ones are uber expensive.

Where I will be moving they get high winds. I don't think plastic film will cut it. While I could PROBABLY get someone to come in and pound some pipes into the ground for me to insert PVC into for a hoop house, given the occasional high winds in the area, I don't think plastic will do.

BTW, that picture of the raised bed built out of railroad ties with a small greenhouse on top of it - I hope you're not growing edibles in that. The creosote in railroad ties is really really toxic. Plus other toxic stuff. Railroad ties should never be used to grow edibles.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:51 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I would love to have a greenhouse, but every time I look into it, it seems the only viable ones are uber expensive.

Where I will be moving they get high winds. I don't think plastic film will cut it. While I could PROBABLY get someone to come in and pound some pipes into the ground for me to insert PVC into for a hoop house, given the occasional high winds in the area, I don't think plastic will do.

BTW, that picture of the raised bed built out of railroad ties with a small greenhouse on top of it - I hope you're not growing edibles in that. The creosote in railroad ties is really really toxic. Plus other toxic stuff. Railroad ties should never be used to grow edibles.
Here is a picture of two greenhouses that I built out of 'free' glass we found while on the road looking for yard sales. The older one, in the background, was taken over by my wife's ducks when the new one went into service. For the new one we found a contractor that was giving away 24" and 36" glass panels 60" high. Then we had two picture windows that we replaced with thermal-pane widows so I used the old windows in the roof. The 'new' greenhouse cost me between $400 to $500 for the materials I did not get for free.

Last edited by fisheye; 03-02-2019 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 09:01 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hey genius i read it as "48 hours from start to finish construction time".

NOT WHAT YOU POSTED in your prior post: "I have yet to erect it, as it says it takes 3 people two days to do so."

I dont think in "man hours", what ever time passage is necessary is how i think. As do others who are not engineers.(SNIP)
My point was that it was a lot of time for such a small structure compared to many others in the marketplace. Sorry you weren't able to pick up on that.

So be it. Have fun with your discount cheapie project.

PS: you also wrote: "The other neighbor just bought/moved in and has a collehe age young man i might get to help me, if he'll work for a few dollars an hour." So now you're expecting a college young man to do manual labor/construction for less than minimum wage for a couple of days, too? New neighbors and you think you're entitled to take advantage of them because?

even Labor Ready workers get mid-high teens per hour for such work, and in my rural community the junior high school age kids wouldn't lift a finger for less than $10/hr + job-site refreshments + lunch. I'd be embarrassed to offer less than $20/hr to the high school age kids around here, where many of them are quite skilled and productive at these types of projects and capable of fast quality workmanship having done so for their family businesses since they were old enough to be on a job site and use hand tools.

Sounds to me like you're setting yourself up for a massive disappointment. Why? because once the greenhouse structure is built, it will still need a lot of work to maintain the grow environment to productivity. For example, weeds like to grow just as much as your desired plantings in these environments. In many climate zones, monitoring greenhouse temps due to daily ambient air temp and sunshine exposure requires opening and closing it up as needed to keep the appropriate temperatures for your plants. Watering, tending the plants, staking and supporting the taller growing plants, everything from tomatoes to cucumbers to peas to peppers to many of your garden vegetables in a greenhouse … it all takes work to reach a harvestable crop and enjoy the fruits of your labors. Who's gonna' do all that work for you?

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-02-2019 at 09:35 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 12:27 AM

30,513 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a picture of two greenhouses that I built out of 'free' glass we found while on the road looking for yard sales. The older one, in the background, was taken over by my wife's ducks when the new one went into service. For the new one we found a contractor that was giving away 24" and 36" glass panels 60" high. Then we had two picture windows that we replaced with thermal-pane widows so I used the old windows in the roof. The 'new' greenhouse cost me between $400 to $500 for the materials I did not get for free.

I love those, fisheye, especially since they were built with found stuff as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden