Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2019, 09:09 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times

Advertisements

Long story short, my neighbor hired a tree company to cut down trees in his backyard, and they drove thier trucks and equipment across my front yard to gin access and left ruts all over my front yard. there was still grass in the ruts (for the most part), and I just filled the area with fresh topsoil. Question.......will the grass grow thru the topsoil, or will I need to seed ?.....what else do I need to do to help the growth ?. We are in Southwestern Connecticut if that has any bearing. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 09:26 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,950 times
Default Grass and trees are Climax vegetation

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Long story short, my neighbor hired a tree company to cut down trees in his backyard, and they drove thier trucks and equipment across my front yard to gin access and left ruts all over my front yard. there was still grass in the ruts (for the most part), and I just filled the area with fresh topsoil. Question.......will the grass grow thru the topsoil, or will I need to seed ?.....what else do I need to do to help the growth ?. We are in Southwestern Connecticut if that has any bearing. Thanks

So how can you STOP grass and weeds from growing in the ruts? You are talking about a monoculture. One or two similar species prevail. A uniform lawn. Compacted soil reduces root growth and gases reaching the roots; encourages pooling of water, etc. So you need to tine the rutted soil to loosen it, mix something like peat or rotted anything with it and then use a product like weed and feed to prepare the areas affected with grass seed. I like creeping rye but most any seed will do. "LIGHTLY" rake the seed into the soil so the seeds are just covered then "LIGHTLY" spray water the affected areas for about a week and a half depending on the air temperature. Seeds like cool feet, warm heads. Early Spring is an ideal time to establish grass. Never, never walk on the planted seeds. Wait about a month then cut as high as your mower can cut. Let the cut grass fall where it may. repeat.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:42 PM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
So how can you STOP grass and weeds from growing in the ruts? You are talking about a monoculture. One or two similar species prevail. A uniform lawn. Compacted soil reduces root growth and gases reaching the roots; encourages pooling of water, etc. So you need to tine the rutted soil to loosen it, mix something like peat or rotted anything with it and then use a product like weed and feed to prepare the areas affected with grass seed. I like creeping rye but most any seed will do. "LIGHTLY" rake the seed into the soil so the seeds are just covered then "LIGHTLY" spray water the affected areas for about a week and a half depending on the air temperature. Seeds like cool feet, warm heads. Early Spring is an ideal time to establish grass. Never, never walk on the planted seeds. Wait about a month then cut as high as your mower can cut. Let the cut grass fall where it may. repeat.

Then present your neighbor with the bill for time and materials.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
have to ask, why don't you ask the nice men who left deep ruts in your yard to provide for the needed restoration?

depending on how deep of course, but the ruts will likely recover on their own...tho you shouldn't have to wait.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:57 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Long story short, my neighbor hired a tree company to cut down trees in his backyard, and they drove thier trucks and equipment across my front yard to gin access and left ruts all over my front yard. there was still grass in the ruts (for the most part), and I just filled the area with fresh topsoil.
Unless you gave them access, you need to get your neighbor to pay for the cost to get your lawn back.

Not only the ruts but their trucks compacted the soil hard I bet.

Quote:
Question.......will the grass grow thru the topsoil, or will I need to seed ?.....what else do I need to do to help the growth ?. We are in Southwestern Connecticut if that has any bearing. Thanks
Depends how deep the Top soil is. If it's like an inch, the grass might come through. If its deeper, you will need new seeds. But you may want to aerate it all first before throwing seeds down.

Hurry up because the summer heat is coming. Spring is not the best time for seeding. (Fall is)

Old 04-06-2019, 06:56 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Grass seed needs light to germinate. Soil that is 1/4 inch deep is usually the limit if you want annual or seeded grass to come up. But since you are talking about already rooted plants that have some food reserves, they usually can come up an inch or two as long as the soil is not compacted. But ruts are a form of compaction. It would be safer to lightly spread some new seed in the damaged area as soon as you see that the existing grass is slow to emerge there.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:16 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times
Aerated the lawn, placed Topsoil (some areas are 1-2 inches deep)....added Peet.....raked in lightly.....added seed.....raked in lightly. Gave it a little water yesterday, and with the rain today, won't water till tomorrow, unless rain is predicted. Neighbors Wife stopped over to apologize, and I explained I was shocked to see Bucket trucks, pick up trucks and huge chipper driven over my lawn, and almost stopped them, but the damage was done.....I think she got the idea we weren't exactly happy. Her husband in February said he would fix it in the Spring, and I'm not holding too much faith in his word, and my time during Spring and Summer is short, so I took it upon myself to do the work, rather than wait and see what was going to happen, and when. Fingers crossed everything comes out okay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden