Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 05:45 AM

83,522 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Threw Hydretain down for the first time. I wanted to test it out first on a potted plant but I rushed to get it down before a Thunderstorm and I used a whole bag on the front lawn right. Nature watered it in.

Apparently it helps keep the soil moist withy less need for watering. As we're entering mid Summer I figure I try this out. I don't use sprinklers or irrigation system

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The bees like it, too. I try to always have something for the honey bees to eat.
There's something I haven't seen in a while.... Bees! Once my Cucumbers start flowering more, they'll come around.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:54 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
There's something I haven't seen in a while.... Bees! Once my Cucumbers start flowering more, they'll come around.
Have you tried it on any of your veggies?

Old 06-30-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Have you tried it on any of your veggies?
The bees?

No not yet but I just order a 3lbs bag and will do a test. I will start a new thread because I think it will be an interesting test. Stay tuned.

Shipment arrives July 2nd. I need to buy 2 plants to test it on. 1 of them is going to die so I don't wanna kill my pepper plant.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:58 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
Regarding red thread I get it every year. This year I used a fungus preventive. Do not recall the brand at the moment but this treatment is easily found at your local hardware store. You have to apply it before the red thread appears. For me (Upstate, NY) that means by Memorial Day. Then, apply again end of June. As a side note, although the lawn appears damaged with red thread the grass will recover in the fall.

About the Hydretain, it appears to be a wetting agent. I’m not a pro, but I have had lawn service companies who have recommended it for the hot weather months. Right now I have Truegreen, who recently bought out LawnDawg, who I liked. Time will tell with the new service, but so far so good. Will post pictures soon.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 AM

Anyone without irrigation is seeing the Mid Summer heat stress now. Grass is going dormant in some areas. My backyard which is shaded a lot is still green. Expecting rain later so that's good. I don't use sprinklers or irrigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Regarding red thread I get it every year. This year I used a fungus preventive. Do not recall the brand at the moment but this treatment is easily found at your local hardware store. You have to apply it before the red thread appears. For me (Upstate, NY) that means by Memorial Day. Then, apply again end of June. As a side note, although the lawn appears damaged with red thread the grass will recover in the fall.

About the Hydretain, it appears to be a wetting agent. I’m not a pro, but I have had lawn service companies who have recommended it for the hot weather months. Right now I have Truegreen, who recently bought out LawnDawg, who I liked. Time will tell with the new service, but so far so good. Will post pictures soon.
I'm in process of doing a timelapse regarding Hydretain. Will post as soon as the test is done. Looking forward to your pics.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:46 PM

How's everyone's summer lawn doing? We're in the heat of the summer now. Less rain & clouds, more sun and heat.

Waiting for the town to grind this stump so I can address that whole circle. weeds took over. Kinda makes you appreciate the efforts in the lawn when you see the weeds take over like that in an area unattended.

This is what it looked like 3 months ago an up until last month.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Must be summer. I do not and will not use water. Hoping mother nature throws down some water before the heat wave this weekend.

But I might plant more trees. This is a shadier area that only gets like 4 hours of sun.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:12 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,699,497 times
Jealous that your yard looks like that with no irrigation, Cam! Living in our very arid climate, we have no choice if we want grass. Quite frankly, I am really tired of grass and am increasingly of the opinion that it does not belong in our climate given the amount of water it takes to keep it looking nice. With that said, we've had good rains this season and we're only now in the middle of a prolonged period of heat (98-101F for the next 4 days). I've only watered a handful of times since late June and have only applied Milorganite. In the next few years to come I hope to replace much of the backyard with raised landscaping suitable for flower and vegetable gardens. I hope to rid the front yard of most grass, as well, but all in due time.

The pics below are from this past weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
The Lawn Thread 2019-img_1628.jpg   The Lawn Thread 2019-img_1629.jpg   The Lawn Thread 2019-img_1636.jpg   The Lawn Thread 2019-img_1643.jpg   The Lawn Thread 2019-img_1610.jpg  

Old 07-17-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Jealous that your yard looks like that with no irrigation, Cam! Living in our very arid climate, we have no choice if we want grass.

The pics below are from this past weekend.
Looking good there! Sounds like you do have irrigation.

BTW.. Look what fell today. 0.90" in 2 Thunderstorms. PERFECT. Who needs a sprinkler when you have Mother Nature to rely on.

I was worried we weren't going to get any rain before the heat wave. Supposed to feel like 100's this weekend.

More coming tonight.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden