Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 01:11 PM

13,686 posts, read 7,973,244 times

Advertisements

Can you take a look at the photo I am providing.

It appears to me the water mark you see is a result of water seepage coming from my neighbor side of the wall. .

Does that sound correct?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Water seeping into my yard from neighbor??-3-1-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Yes, it appears as though that is a retaining wall with earth up against the wall on your neighbors side, is that correct?

Old 06-03-2019, 02:18 PM

13,686 posts, read 7,973,244 times
When I looked over into the neighbors yard I saw they have a lush garden next to the wall. My guess is they never coated the wall to prevent water seepage when watering

Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzfs_xJx7TU&t=16s

Old 06-04-2019, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 11,099 times
In my opinion based on what you have shown, this is efflorescence due to repeated seepage of water through the masonry. It is not physical damage; nor would I expect it to damage the wall unless they're watering when its freezing out. It is cosmetic. There are acid based cleaners that can be periodically used to clean it.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:27 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Agree on the efflorescence, and a diluted mix of muriatic acid and water will fix it. Read up on using muriatic acid though if you’ve never used it before, some needed rules there for safety.

Water is likely getting between the horizontal gaps of the block stack and soaking down into the concrete, then through it and out the sides.

Spray their side with a water sealer. That should help quite a bit, or have them to put a clear plastic sheet on their side of the wall to keep drier.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:28 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
I’m guessing it’s not your wall and that it was built and belongs to your adjacent neighbor?

If it was probably constructed, there should be crushed stone or a vertical drainage mat, on their side of the wall that drops into a pipe to allow water to be piped away rather than building up in the soil and adding to the ground pressure against the wall.

Regardless of how the wall and backfill was constructed, after a significant rainfall the block wall will be wet and since the masonry is porous, it will wick water from the drainage mat or soil. Moisture will also cause efflorescence that is obviously visible.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 11,099 times
Its not a retaining wall. It's just a masonry fence that the neighbor is getting wet when they water their plants.

Here's a thought. Offer to help neighbor install a drip irrigation system.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:25 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Put in your own garden that blocks the cosmetic issue that seems to be keeping you up at night. Next time, wait until you hear them in their garden before scaling the wall, but this time instead of taking video of their private property and putting it on the internet, talk to them and swap garden advice.

Just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden