Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 03:39 PM

182 posts, read 205,310 times

Advertisements

Silver lace vine can be invasive in "some areas". I live in an apartment in the Tri-cities (WA) and I was wondering if that would be an issue. I know it's invasive in western WA, but it's really dry here. Would growing that plant in a large container on my (south facing) patio be a problem, do you think? Am I even allowed to grow this, in Washington?

I have a half wall on my patio, which blocks the sun. The way Silver Lace vine grows would seem ideal for this; it can drape over on the sun side and form a thick covering with lots of flowers.. What other plants would grow like this? Preferably not something susceptible to aphids. The more uncommon, the better. I like growing things you wouldn't expect to see.. Hardenbergia violacea is appealing, though, it's only hardy to zone 9 and I'm not sure if it would do well, if I had to bring it in for winter.

Also, feel free to give me suggestions for flowers/plants to grow on the shade side of my patio. I am in zone 7, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 07:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
I wouldn't advise growing silver lace vine anywhere in the PNW regardless of how dry it is where you live and whether or not you have it in a container or in the ground. You not only have to consider its invasive and tough, destructive vine habit if you don't keep it completely controlled and trimmed back every week to 10 days, you also have to consider that nature has other ways of transporting the pollen and the seeds to places outside of your control. The stuff is as bad or even worse than the noxious kudzu in the south/east and the Himalayan Blackberry brambles that are now invading and strangling things all over the PNW and right up north all the way to the Alaska panhandle.

Plus there's always the possibility that a concerned neighbor might recognize it and report you. That's because it's being monitored in Washington state and people are supposed to report it to authorities if they see it growing. The silver lace vine isn't officially on the Washington Noxious Weed List yet but it is headed that way and is presently listed as a Weed of Concern in Washington and is now listed on the Washington Noxious Weed Monitor List - here is the monitor list: https://www.nwcb.wa.gov/noxious-weed-monitor-list

I think if you want to grow some kind of vining and flowering plant with similar rapid growth habits that will do well in a container you should look for something that is definitely not invasive or that is an indigenous native to the PNW, not a foreign invasive that poses serious risk to the local environment, habitats and local agriculture.

If you look online there are several examples can be found of PNW native vines. The 6 following examples of native vines are from this website: https://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=5858

Quote:

Lonicera ciliosa (orange honeysuckle) will produce red/orange blossoms that attract humingbirds from May to July.
Calystegia sepium (hedge false bindweed) looks like a white morning glory blooming from May to September, prolific to the point of being a pest. Provide plenty of space for spreading.
Parthenocissus vitacea (woodbine) blooms in various colors from May to July in any kind of soil and any amount of light. Photo here.
Rubus leucodermis (whitebark raspberry) complete with thorns that may prevent the dog from tearing it up. White or pink blossoms appear in April and May. Photo here.
Vitis riparia (riverbank grape) with fragrant yellow-green blossoms is a hardy and tolerant vine that is fast growing and long lived. Photo here.
Vitis californica (California wild grape) is an aggressive vine blooming fragrant yellow-green blossoms in May and June. This may require more maintenance than you want to do to keep it cut back. Photo here.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:45 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Here in zone 8, confederate jasmine or Carolina Jessamine would do what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden