Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 07:34 AM

8,677 posts, read 22,931,729 times

Advertisements

Okay, there are times I wish I had more room.....and find myself eyeballing the HOA common area ("but something needs to be planted there to control erosion" lol). But it's a pandemic and it's Saturday and I am jonesing for something new for the garden (too chilly to be IN the garden), so in these moods, it's best for me to stick to bargains (please do not confuse with cheap). I tried online, but my order at Plants Delight totaled $50, but shipping was $35. Nope, the itch isn't THAT bad (yet).

I will share a find from yesterday, totally unexpected at Lidl: A pink lace Hydrangea in an 8 inch pot for $4 and a Coleius, never seen before with very narrow leaves, in a 6 inch pot for $3. I realize my ph in the soil will change the color, but comparable plants at the nursery would have been 3x the price. These were quality plants.

And the flyer for next week shows Lidl stores near me will have a great deal more.

Any other great finds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 09:11 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
After Mother's day, some of the big stores will have their potted plants that didn't sell marked down. They were badly over-priced to start with because they were sold with a ribbon wrapped around them, but now they are unwanted for gifts.

I've seen small gift azaleas, rhodies, and hydrangeas marked really low to get them moved out of the store. Very often, they are varieties with lovely colored flowers.

Generally, plants are not marked down here until they are past the half dead mark... and at the first frost of winter when the nursery section closes down.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:01 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,520,870 times
We now go to Facebook Marketplace for virtually everything we are going to buy.

And that includes the Garden section where I bought 20 great arborvitae's for far less than I would have paid at a garden center.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:38 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
I love rescuing perennials from Lowe’s clearance racks. Most of the time there is nothing wrong with them, except they have had their first blooms, so aren’t flashy anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden