Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 02:31 PM

1,353 posts, read 787,827 times

Advertisements

My lawn is about 7000 Ft2. I am using Menards fertilizer/weed killer.
Two handheld spreaders I have do not distribute the pellets evenly, and I can see the lawn discoloration.
Would the spreader with wheels work better? There is a small one Scotts Turf Builder 23 LB in the store, but it has a lot of bad reviews...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 02:51 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
The plastic Scotts Turf Builder spreader is perfectly decent. It's lasted me much longer than other brands of fertilizer spreaders. It's not hard to push.

My only problem is that I fertilized, and now I'm being overrun with new weeds of all kinds. They're growing faster than I can get rid of them.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:33 PM

1,353 posts, read 787,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
The plastic Scotts Turf Builder spreader is perfectly decent. It's lasted me much longer than other brands of fertilizer spreaders. It's not hard to push.

My only problem is that I fertilized, and now I'm being overrun with new weeds of all kinds. They're growing faster than I can get rid of them.
Thank you.
You may want to try same weed killer I use.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:04 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Yes I would avoid handheld spreaders unless you're using them for flower beds.

Go with the Scott's Edge Guard DLX broadcast spreader and always be sure to wash it off after each use.

by the way, if you're referring to a two-in-one granular product of fertilizer and weed killer I would avoid it. Fertilize if necessary but go light in the springtime and spot treat weeds as needed. If you have more weeds then our able to be done by spot treating then get something like Orthos end of hose attachment and spray as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Two handheld spreaders I have do not distribute the pellets evenly, and I can see the lawn discoloration.
Would the spreader with wheels work better? There is a small one Scotts Turf Builder 23 LB in the store, but it has a lot of bad reviews...

Old 05-14-2020, 12:17 AM

16 posts, read 9,436 times
Quote:
Twice that handheld spreaders are no use in your case. If you don't have any access problem, I'd go with broadcast spreader. From what I know, Scotts are quite popular in our neighborhood, but my friend who works in lawn industry recommended us Lesco - not the cheapest option, but really durable, which might be crucial for uneven ground, like in our case.
For my father's lawn he bought a walk behind Lesco 101186 (it's on a heavier side, if you'd ask me, but we thought it's be easier to maneuver it on the grass due to bigger wheels - and yes, it is).
BIL uses Agri-fab not sure which model, but it's been four years already if not more. It's much cheaper than Lesco but he's pretty happy with it. And replacement parts are not that expensive.

Also, as movin2Reston said, be sure to clean and lubricate the spreader you choose (another trick I've learned) - this way it will serve you longer.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:31 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:

At that size lawn I would step up to the next size. Only because some Ferts and stuff you'll need to fill that thing up and may be heavy to push at first. I've had 2 in past 15 yrs and wouldn't get anything else. I love it. My only peeve is that they rust in spots but there's a solution to that, don't keep it outside like I do. lol.

The 46lbs is double the price though. Maybe start with the 23lbs, try it and see how you like it. You can always return it.

I got mine for free. Found a neighbor wanting to get rid of it. You can try Craigslist as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden