Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 12:11 PM

845 posts, read 1,350,786 times

Advertisements

I have had little chances to deal with dying plants and reviving them. The one plant that I revived was a spider-plant. I left it in the garage for a couple days and it died. I left everything in the same pot, brought it back into my living room and watered it. I think the plant died back due to the cold but it is thriving now with lots of new little spider plants and a whole leaf structure.

I bought a dying plant from a store. I asked to give it to me for half the price. Its called a Italian Heather. The leaves and flowers were severely dry, most fell off like a real Christmas tree does later or not constantly watered. (not a good sign #1)

I trimmed most of the dead branches down. Some just snapped off (not a good sign #2). I found a few good sturdy branches that didn't snap from touching them, with some good green leaves. (Good sign #1 )

I also pulled it from the root out of its pot (dirt and all). I broke off a little of the roots down; added some better drainage materials (rocks and paper towel).

I'm sure the plant is dead. I have little hope there's some life left but no expectations. If it never comes back, my hopes may be dashed, but it won't be like I jumped off an edge of a steep cliff to a jagged rock bed.

Has anyone brought something back from the brink of death? How close? What tips can you offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 12:24 PM

23,369 posts, read 18,968,084 times
Once in a while someone's given me a miserable plant to take a chance on. I usually unpot it to figure out why. So often it is either root bound, the soil hasn't been disturbed, augmented or changed in years, it was over or underwatered. Usually I start off by trying to identify what it is so I know the conditions it even prefers. Then check the roots for rot, trim off dead branches and/roots, repot it in fresh soil with good drainage (you can usually tell if it was waterlogged...a sulfury smell to the soil); sometimes choosing a pot that's slightly bigger than the one it came in. Then water it and give it the proper amount of light. Don't overwhelm it with too much food. If it comes back at all something is being done right. A friend who rented a run down house found a dozen scraggly, overgrown, neglected plants just left to die for months. Loaded up the car with them. Amazingly, all but one survived after simply being repotted and watered. Instant decor.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:38 PM

127 posts, read 61,595 times
Yes! I have done this many times. I shop the discounted plant racks at Lowes regularly. It's like a sport to see if I can revive it. I've been quite successful having lost about 3 over the last couple of years.

Sounds like you are doing the right things. I don't do anything extra special but like Parnassia, I also take a look at the roots and the soil the plant was in, look for issues then repot.

I'm going to wake up with the chickens and head to Lowes this weekend before the crowds come out and hit up the sad specimen rack.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,083,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post

I bought a dying plant from a store. I asked to give it to me for half the price. Its called a Italian Heather. ....... <snip>....... I'm sure the plant is dead. I have little hope there's some life left but no expectations.

Yes, it's most likely dead. Those beautiful little Italian heaths (it's actually a heath, not a heather) that are sold in stores are nursery plant cuttings that have been forced to root and then flower unnaturally at the wrong season and it is with the full expectation that they will die very shortly afterwards. There are a lot of different species of beautiful plants that are forced that way as special occasion gift plants, knowing they will soon die.

If your heath does still have any green foliage left on it now you should take it out of the pot and put it outside in the ground. Read up about the care and requirements of the species. Italian heath is an outdoor evergreen that will not survive indoors and will not do well in a container outdoors either. It must be in the ground in consistently damp soil and subject to daily environmental changes outside. It is extremely particular about temperatures and the condition of the soil and about the changing humidity in the air at different times of the day and night. Indoor environments in houses are not suitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post

....... What tips can you offer?
Here is one tip that I'm really strict with myself about, because I sometimes like to bring home failing plants too. With regard to bringing home any failing plants before even considering bringing it home I always give the leaves, stems, flowers and soil a super thorough examination for an insect infestation or signs of fungal infections. Some insects are so small you can't see them without a magnifying glass. If there is the slightest hint of infestation/infection and you still decide to bring it home, do NOT bring it into your house if you have any other houseplants inside, nor anywhere near your outdoor plants while you are re-potting, doctoring and ministering to the plant to revive and heal it. Its treatments and recovery time should ideally be done in a quarantined recovery area devoid of any other plants and kept there until it is fully recovered and healthy again and no longer a risk of contagion to other plants.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden