Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 02:59 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,791 posts, read 4,162,964 times

Advertisements

I decided to take a chance, and have planted 2 tassel ferns in an area I would say gets mostly sun. I'm in southern Wisconsin.

I've had pretty good luck with some hostas in mostly sun areas of my yard, and a neighbor has ferns that do fine with sun. Think I will have the same luck with these ferns, or are they temperamental and really need a lot of shade?

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 03:53 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,102,459 times
There are several species of tassel ferns. Which species do you have?

ETA: If you don't know which species you have can you post a picture of them for ID?

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-13-2020 at 04:10 PM..

Old 05-13-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There are several species of tassel ferns. Which species do you have?

ETA: If you don't know which species you have can you post a picture of them for ID?

Hi Zoisite. It's Polystichum polyblepharum according to the tag from garden center. Apparently it is known as a Japanese tassel fern.

Last edited by mrkool; 05-13-2020 at 04:47 PM..

Old 05-13-2020, 07:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,102,459 times
Those ones don't do well in full sun, particularly not intense late afternoon sun. They are shade plants that are adapted to growing under fairly humid forest canopies. They don't like stiff winds either.

So if you're going to leave them there I'd suggest you at least also provide them with a different, taller full-sun tolerant companion plant(s) to the immediate southwest of their respective locations to provide them with partial to full shade in hot afternoons to sunset. They 'might' do okay but there's no guarantee with them so there's only one way to find out. Soil should be kept evenly moist at all times, don't allow it to dry out but don't keep it soaked.

If you can't put in taller shady companion plants for them (or some other source of afternoon shade - maybe tall plants in containers?) and if they start to look yellow and brown and spotty with frazzled and crumbling tips on the foliage as summer light and heat intensifies then they're not doing well at all. In that case I'd suggest you transplant them immediately to some other location where they can be in partial to full shade most of the day.

Good luck, I hope they do okay where you have already planted them. They are gorgeous ferns when they've become fully established. Expect that to take a couple to three years.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply, Zoisite. Not sure what I'll do. Where they are now there are some bigger shrubs around (a crimson pygmy barberry, a pretty big Wichita blue spruce, and a Tiger's Eye sumac), but none of those will provide much shade due to locations, and I really don't have room now to plant anything taller around the ferns. This is a small, southwest-facing garden, but is not getting full sun all day due to the next door, 2 story house which is quite close to property line. But it does get sun in the afternoon.

The only really shady area I have is under a tree in the back, and that area already has hostas and 2 viburnums (dwarf euro cranberry). The latter have seen better days, and I might dig them up and put the ferns there.

Thanks again for the assist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden